The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Corvette Discussions (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   2008 C6 (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125082)

CHASZ51 08-28-2022 05:15 PM

2008 C6

May get a 2008 C6 3LT with 62k miles. Anything to worry about with a car this age? All stock and not sure about parts these days if something needs fixing. Unreal how much prices have gone up on these cars.

Rich Z 08-28-2022 09:24 PM

Heck, buying a used car, no matter the make or model, will always be a crap shoot. Manufacturers, as best I understand it, are only obligated to keep a stock of repair parts for 10 years. With all the electronics in vehicles these days, it's not like any shade tree mechanic can fix all of the problems that can show up. And lord only knows I don't have much faith in ANY so called "vette techs" out there that I have had contacts with.

You may want to research some of the electronics parts for that year and model and just do a quick search to see if they are still readily available. Things like the BCM and ECM, for instance. But even minor things like door lock modules and the numerous engine sensors will eventually get hard to find.

These same thoughts run through my mind with my C5Z. I guess there are things on that which could break that I would not be able to find a replacement for.

So if you can, get at least some sort of minimum warranty on it, just in case. If they are selling it "as is" you will just have to take your chances. At the very least, have it checked out by someone who can view the history codes to see if it is flagging any errors. From what I understand, you can't just view codes through the DIC like you could with the C5s. So you need a reader, or someone who has one.

Plus it would be worthwhile getting any used vehicle up on a lift to have someone competent to check it out for obvious things like fluid leaks and stuff. And something like rodent damage to wires in a vehicle being parked outside could cause you uncountable headaches.

Sorry, but damn I sound negative lately...... :face_palm_02:

Wish you luck.....

CHASZ51 08-29-2022 06:44 AM

Main reason i never had cars over 7 years old. After the lemon law on my 2019 C7 i would never trust a C7 with a A8 trans as GM never did get them right.

Had two C6's before and both were fine. I mean to say the car has 52k miles not 62. There is another 08 C6 with 8k miles for $34k. But it is yellow with two tops. C8's are just way too much at this time. All car prices are crazy now.

Rich Z 08-29-2022 11:02 PM

I guess with all the crazy talk about trying to force us poor peons into having only electric cars to putter around town in while the "elite" high and mighty flit around the world in their private jets will have people scrambling for "collectible" gas powered cars sooner or later.

CHASZ51 08-30-2022 07:33 PM

I got the car Mon. All seems fine for now. Factory tune sucks so i will get it tuned. Not sure on headers yet with all the EPA stuff going on the state my go back to sniffer test on cars again.

85vette 08-30-2022 09:11 PM

Good for you! Post some pictures.

85vette 08-30-2022 09:15 PM

Imagine a non internal combustion powered vehicle that was so beneficial both to man and to the environment that organized propaganda wasn't required to convince people, laws weren't passed to force people, and the companies could reap an honest profit from the value of their product without tax based subsidies.
Keep imagining. That's as far as you'll get.

I saw this response to someone pushing for electric cars on social media. This is the most truthful response I've seen. Our world isn't ready for electric cars yet. Don't know if we ever will be.....

Rich Z 08-31-2022 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85vette (Post 218067)
Good for you! Post some pictures.

Yeah! Let's see some pics!

Rich Z 08-31-2022 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85vette (Post 218068)
Imagine a non internal combustion powered vehicle that was so beneficial both to man and to the environment that organized propaganda wasn't required to convince people, laws weren't passed to force people, and the companies could reap an honest profit from the value of their product without tax based subsidies.
Keep imagining. That's as far as you'll get.

I saw this response to someone pushing for electric cars on social media. This is the most truthful response I've seen. Our world isn't ready for electric cars yet. Don't know if we ever will be.....

Electric powered vehicles completely ignore the reality of the problem they are supposed to solve. The increased demand on electricity will require more electricity generating power plants. What will they run on? If anyone thinks that solar and wind power generation can take up the slack, they just are not researching those technologies enough.

Then we have the problem of all those end of life battery packs and what to do with them. Are they biodegradable or recyclable? What about the manufacturing facilities to make the batteries? What are they going to be powered by? What about the raw materials needed for making the batteries? What will the dramatic increase in that demand do to the environment?

And just wait for the day that the first driver and all passengers get electrocuted by their car during an accident. Will be interesting to see what sort of liability disclaimers buyers will have to sign.

Surely the technology exists to run an internal combustion engine off of the products created during electrolysis of water: oxygen and hydrogen. If the greenies are looking for really green technology, it don't get much greener than that!

85vette 08-31-2022 06:28 AM

https://www.cummins.com/news/release...ngine-act-expo

Internal combustion engines have come a long way since the 70’s. Especially the diesels! Heck, if you didn’t know my F350 was a diesel you couldn’t tell as quiet as it is. And with the emission system you can’t even smell any diesel from the exhaust. Even the big Peterbilt we drive has no exhaust smell. And obviously it’s working. When I was stationed in California in the 70’s the air was yellow with smog. The air out there is MUCH cleaner today.

CHASZ51 08-31-2022 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I will get some pics soon. Still can't beat the LS3 and none of that 4 and 8 banger mode crap like in the C7.

CHASZ51 09-04-2022 08:46 AM

Car works and runs fine. Just gotta get it tuned. May do headers as well and a cam.

85vette 09-04-2022 09:55 AM

Great color combination! Nice!

CHASZ51 09-04-2022 06:53 PM

Thanks. Always wanted seats like that.

CHASZ51 09-09-2022 06:49 AM

The door release on both doors needs to be taken apart and clean the contacts. These car doors get hard to open when they age.

Rich Z 09-09-2022 10:47 AM

When we had the 2007 Coupe, we had to have both door handles replaced not too long after we bought the car.

CHASZ51 09-10-2022 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 218130)
When we had the 2007 Coupe, we had to have both door handles replaced not too long after we bought the car.

I guess warranty took care of it.

Rich Z 09-10-2022 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHASZ51 (Post 218138)
I guess warranty took care of it.

Yes, it did. But I don't imagine it would have been a difficult fix if I had had to do it myself.

CHASZ51 09-10-2022 05:37 PM

Looks easy on the many U tube vids. I found another shop called C Hendry Mototrsports west of Dade city. He is gonna tune my car in two weeks. He takes it on the road for around 2 hours and does whatever.

Never knew about him all these years. I guess Greg is done.

Rich Z 09-11-2022 04:17 PM

Greg at Antivenom?

CHASZ51 09-11-2022 04:19 PM

Yes that Greg. He told me about 3 years he was done.

Rich Z 09-11-2022 05:25 PM

For some reason, I don't feel very surprised by that info.

CHASZ51 09-11-2022 05:28 PM

Said he went into media. He tuned two C6's and a 5.3 Colorado always did a great job with the tunes.

85vette 09-11-2022 06:36 PM

The last I talked to Greg he was working for Holley Fuel Injection Tech. He was still doing some things at his shop but he was picking and choosing. That's been several years ago so who knows. I got in touch with him about an issue I had with my manual transmission on my CTS V and he said he would work on it if I brought it to him but I got it resolved up here.

Rich Z 09-12-2022 09:30 PM

Heck, Greg basically blew me off when I went to him for help with my C5Z. Wouldn't even bother responding to my emails. From the sound of things, I wasn't the only one he burned bridges with.

IMHO.

CHASZ51 09-13-2022 07:06 AM

We will see how this Chris guy is on tuning. Not sure if my 2008 C6 has even been tuned or not. Looks 100% stock to me. Maybe super charge it. Would like around 500 to the wheels.

Rich Z 09-13-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

C Hendry Motorsports
Do they have a website? A quick search turns up nothing on them. :shrug01:

85vette 09-13-2022 07:08 PM

There's one in Chipley I've been meaning to tell you about.

https://zeroinracing.com/

CHASZ51 09-13-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 218164)
Do they have a website? A quick search turns up nothing on them. :shrug01:

I put in C Hendry Motorsports and it comes up. Never knew of him until a friend of mine let me know. At least he does answer the phone.

Rich Z 09-13-2022 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHASZ51 (Post 218168)
I put in C Hendry Motorsports and it comes up. Never knew of him until a friend of mine let me know. At least he does answer the phone.

All I get on Google is "Hendry County Motorsports Park". :shrug01:

CHASZ51 09-14-2022 06:39 AM

I am using AOL search. PM me a e mail i can send a link to ya.

CHASZ51 09-17-2022 05:48 PM

Car has run fine so far. Shifts are kinda hard and jerky and the car kinda jerks back when you put it in reverse. Not sure if this car was ever tuned or not.

Rich Z 09-17-2022 08:03 PM

The tuner guy should be able to tell if it has a tune in it or not.

CHASZ51 09-18-2022 06:52 AM

Just took apart the door release and cleaned the contacts. Easy to do in about 20 min. Door is much better now.

CHASZ51 09-21-2022 07:55 PM

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. Gas cap was loose so i hope that is what caused it. These gas caps always sucked on these cars.

Rich Z 09-21-2022 08:23 PM

I guess the Corvette engineers should have come up with a CHECK GAS CAP light.

CHASZ51 09-21-2022 08:28 PM

Car has been fine but today it fell on it's face two times when i hit the gas. It took like 3 secs for it to shift and acted like it was gonna die.

Other than that it has been fine for 3 weeks. I know buying a 15 year old car is not gonna be without some probs.

Rich Z 09-21-2022 09:04 PM

Isn't your appointment to get it tuned coming up soon? Hopefully that will take care of some issues.

What I have seen lots of people do is to get some add-ons put on a vette, get it tuned for those add-ons, and then when it comes time to sell the car, they take off the after market stuff so they can sell it as being "bone stock". But they don't normally reload the old tune back in. So the car will run OK, but the air/fuel tables are a bit out of whack.

Disconnect the battery, then hook it back up again, start up the car and see how it runs. If it sputters and runs rough for a while, it has a tune in it that isn't optimum for your engine right now. The fuel trim tables will get filled with new data to self adjust the A/F mixture and it will run better in a few moments. I saw that phenomenon on my C5Z after certain "tuners" fiddled with it.

CHASZ51 09-22-2022 06:42 AM

I take it Fri for the tune. I am sure he can see what is up with the engine light.

He will know if it was ever tuned. Just hope i don't have a money pit. I know the gas tank is something i gotta hope was fixed before i bought it. Many C6's had a bad gas smell from the pass side gas tank.

Rich Z 09-22-2022 10:30 AM

Yeah, if I remember correctly, the C6s have the fuel pump mounted on top of the gas tanks. So that means pulling down the tank that might have a bad seal causing a leak and subsequent gas smell.

Does CarFax show dealer repairs?