The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classifieds - Corvettes, Parts & Accessories (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   '88 Vette Steering Rack Needed (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14708)

Mr. Blue 03-31-2008 06:27 PM

'88 Vette Steering Rack Needed

Where is the most cost effective place to buy a rebuilt/or new steering rack & pinon for a 1988 Vette.:shrug01:
That is what I need.
I have a core for exchange if required for a re-manufactured unit exchange.
e-mail contact: MrBlue@cfl.rr.com
Glenn "Mr. Blue"

gmjunkie 03-31-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue (Post 55823)
Where is the most cost effective place to buy a rebuilt/or new steering rack & pinon for a 1988 Vette.:shrug01:
That is what I need.
I have a core for exchange if required for a re-manufactured unit exchange.
e-mail contact: MrBlue@cfl.rr.com
Glenn "Mr. Blue"

Whats yours doing??Or Not doing??:shrug01:

Mr. Blue 03-31-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmjunkie (Post 55824)
Whats yours doing??Or Not doing??:shrug01:

It's developed a good bit of 'slack' back & forth in the steering wheel.
While driving over rutted roads, it tends to 'wander' back and forth.
It's a 1988 rack from a Z-51 equipped Vette that I bought back in 1989 for parts and have been running ever since with those hugh 345/35ZR-15 tires on the front. :nonod:
Thanks for asking if you could help! Glenn

85vette 03-31-2008 10:20 PM

Hi Glenn, there's a seller on Ebay that exchanges cores for ones he rebuilds. They are $150.00 with your core. IKERDS Corvette Suspension Products has been an ebay seller since 2001 and has a 99.8 satisfaction rating. Go to Ebay Motors and type in "Corvette Steering Rack" and it will take you right to it. It also list the codes that match the tag on your unit so you're sure to order the correct one. His shipping is reasonable too, $16.83 from Indiana to my address in Florida. I have not done business with him yet, but plan to in the future.

Mr. Blue 03-31-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85vette (Post 55849)
Hi Glenn, there's a seller on Ebay that exchanges cores for ones he rebuilds. They are $150.00 with your core. IKERDS Corvette Suspension Products has been an ebay seller since 2001 and has a 99.8 satisfaction rating. Go to Ebay Motors and type in "Corvette Steering Rack" and it will take you right to it. It also list the codes that match the tag on your unit so you're sure to order the correct one. His shipping is reasonable too, $16.83 from Indiana to my address in Florida. I have not done business with him yet, but plan to in the future.

Thank you for the info. Glenn

gmjunkie 03-31-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue (Post 55828)
It's developed a good bit of 'slack' back & forth in the steering wheel.
While driving over rutted roads, it tends to 'wander' back and forth.
It's a 1988 rack from a Z-51 equipped Vette that I bought back in 1989 for parts and have been running ever since with those hugh 345/35ZR-15 tires on the front. :nonod:
Thanks for asking if you could help! Glenn

The inner tie rods are replaceable under the billows,takes about 30-40 min a side!!I can change both in 1 1/2 hrs with plenty of time to smoke a couple ciggs!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...river%2c+Inner

Mr. Blue 04-02-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmjunkie (Post 55863)
The inner tie rods are replaceable under the billows,takes about 30-40 min a side!!I can change both in 1 1/2 hrs with plenty of time to smoke a couple ciggs!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...river%2c+Inner

Thanks for the information. I've checked into the inner tie rod ends being worn out instead of replacing the entire rack. Should be much cheaper and less work overall. :thumbsup:Glenn

gmjunkie 04-02-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue (Post 56008)
Thanks for the information. I've checked into the inner tie rod ends being worn out instead of replacing the entire rack. Should be much cheaper and less work overall. :thumbsup:Glenn

Damn, That weird!! The TRW and the McQuay Norris were both Priced below $30 when I posted that Link!!:banghead: The TRW's were $27.99 and McQuay-Norris were $28.59!! I pay $42.34 for Moog and $26.50 for Preferred Parts Depot (Chinese) Here!! I called and got the Price just Now!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mr. Blue 04-02-2008 11:19 AM

Go with the good stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmjunkie (Post 56013)
Damn, That weird!! The TRW and the McQuay Norris were both Priced below $30 when I posted that Link!!:banghead: The TRW's were $27.99 and McQuay-Norris were $28.59!! I pay $42.34 for Moog and $26.50 for Preferred Parts Depot (Chinese) Here!! I called and got the Price just Now!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for checking the prices for me. :thumbsup:
I've learned a long time ago not to cut corners on this project. ALWAYS get the best parts you can afford, so I'll probably go with the Moog. No way I'd go for the foreign junk!!:NoNo::thumbsdown:

shakedown067 04-02-2008 11:26 AM

I got my 89 sport rack from a Place in Tampa. Great price, I got it quick and it came highly recomended from a fellow C4 owner. I'll see if I can track down the name of the place for you. It probably doesn't do much, but I got the poly bushings too when I got my rack. I'd ask that the rubber bushing not be installed if you go with the poly bushings though. I had to pay a machine shop $20 to remove the new rubber bushing so I could install the poly one.