The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Legal Issues (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Florida Vehicle Registration Fees? (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1301)

Shadow 05-28-2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vett boy
I reg My Vett and others in NH .The only legal ways are to have a legal address and Drivers license .Second is to have a legal business address and a state bus. I.D number.Keep in mind insurance and reg will cost far less than most states.Plus you get that plate "live free or die " sort of gives ya that rebel feel.

Thats correct. Regardless of your residency, if you own a business elsewhere. you can registere the vehicle at that address. For a while I thought about opening a business in Pasco County. The insurance rates were much better there.

Otherwise, it must be registered at your legal place of residence.

The insurance company doesn't care where you have it registered.They care about where it's located or kept.

Just changed insurers and this was the key question for quote purposes...where is it kept?

If it's in Florida, you're gonna get hit with Florida rates or risk a refusal to pay on any claim.

But you will beat the tax problem.

Rich Z 05-28-2007 01:28 PM

Does anyone have a reference to the legal authority of the state to charge state sales tax on a vehicle purchased out of state? From what I recall, but can't find a link right now, the requirement is that you must show proof that you paid the sales tax within the state that you purchased your vehicle, otherwise you pay the Florida state sales tax when you register it. Since I purchased mine in New Hampshire, which has NO state sales tax, I should have complied with this requirement. However I was STILL charged Florida tax when I registered.

Emails sent to my local representatives have not been replied to asking about this issue.

85vette 05-28-2007 02:40 PM

Rich, I believe you could have avoided the tax issue if you had registered the vehicle in New Hampshire and then simply had the registration and title transfered over to a Florida registration and title. You would have had administrative fees including the $100.00 "additional vehicle on the road", but should not have had to pay sales tax. I believe that Florida recognizes a registration as proof of having paid sales tax.

sandman 06-06-2007 06:10 AM

I bought my truck in Florida and had to pay the 360.00 dollar tax. Then when I traded my truck for a beautiful 91 coupe I had to pay 275.00 It isn't fair but you know if we can afford these vehicles its just my opinion that we should expect to be abl eto pay for them. It is to much of a headache to get around the system. Their going to stick it to you us:rofl1: :thumbsup: :crazy03: :rolleyes: :reddevil: :thumbsup: somehow. As far as taxes go at the end of the year write that crap off. I know it hits the pocket book and Im not on their side but you'll feel better if it is all done legally. Then hit them in the shorts when you do your taxes next year.

Shadow 06-06-2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandman
I bought my truck in Florida and had to pay the 360.00 dollar tax. Then when I traded my truck for a beautiful 91 coupe I had to pay 275.00 It isn't fair but you know if we can afford these vehicles its just my opinion that we should expect to be abl eto pay for them. It is to much of a headache to get around the system. Their going to stick it to you us:rofl1: :thumbsup: :crazy03: :rolleyes: :reddevil: :thumbsup: somehow. As far as taxes go at the end of the year write that crap off. I know it hits the pocket book and Im not on their side but you'll feel better if it is all done legally. Then hit them in the shorts when you do your taxes next year.

How can you legally write off taxes? Curious minds want to know?:thumbsup:

sandman 06-06-2007 06:30 AM

When you do your taxes if Im not mistaken it asks you how much you paid for tags on your vehic:thumbsup: le as well as state taxes. I am not positive about Florida. Check with your accountant. In Oklahoma it is all tax deductible.

vett boy 06-06-2007 06:52 AM

All taxes and most fee's are deductable.Just keep an itemized list of any and all taxes and fee's.Anything to pay to the Fed ,state or local gov't.

sandman 06-06-2007 06:58 AM

Great there you go.:thumbsup: :crazy03:

Shadow 06-06-2007 08:23 AM

very COOL!!!!:dancer01: Thanks:thumbsup: