Thread: "drifting"
View Single Post
Unread 01-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Yeah, first I ever heard of it was when I watched that movie "Tokyo Drift". Disappointing movie to me.

Personally, to me drifting is something you do when you have mostly lost control of the car and are trying to regain control. Can't see much sense in purposely doing something like that at all. I guess it is a good talent to master if you drive on icy roads, but practically speaking, why else would you want to do something like that?

But I guess they say the same thing about straight line racing......
I guess I get to be the voice of dissention here. Drifters haven't "lost control" of thier vehicles. They are actually exhibiting greater control than most of us out here.

To be able to go around a banked turn at speed ahile hanging the back end out, takes some serious control. We tend to drive wround with our traction controls on and anti lock brakes and depend on the car to keep us out of the ditch.

We get excited and ohh ahhh, when we break the tires loose in a straight line

Drifters on the other hand (and please, I'm referring to professional drifters. Sponsored, on the track, I'm making money doing this...drifters) have complete (or as complete as possible when 2+ tires are moving sideways ) control of thier cars and where they're going. The "point" them where they want them to be, time the drift so as not to hit the wall and somehow (most the time) manage not to roll them over

And to be able to throw your car into a slide at will, again under full control? That takes some practice

Someone mentioned how many parts a guy replaced in his drifting vehicle.

Race the vette (seriously race it) and see what we end up replacing? Diff's, tranny's engines, they all break at some time.

Good tires? Not really. Most of these tires are purposely designed or worn down to drift.

Finally, like Ynkedad sad, most (or many) sports are judged. I think the finesse it takes to do this properly is amazing!

As far as watching hours on end of it?

I find it much more interesting than straight line, 1/4-1/8 mile drag racing, and only a little less boring than NASCAR

What I can't understand, is all the pople that will stand around in the sun quietly, while some joker chases a ball with a stick?

Watching golf is just below watching grass grow

Ok....fire away!!!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote