View Single Post
Unread 02-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Mark,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Here's a few quotes from the "CF" regarding the Tunnel Heat...

I installed an Elite ABS tunnel plate. The plate is 1/4" thick aluminum with ceramic coating and a thermal barrier added. It virtually eliminated the heat from my center console. Was definitely worth the money - about a $150 - which is loose change on these cars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put in the Thermal ABS of Aluminum tunnel plate from Elite Engineering and it helped to reduce the console heat. It didn't completely get rid of all the heat in the console as it still has some warmth, but it reduced it to the point where it was livable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have had great success at reducing the tunnel heat AND stiffening the chassis with our "new" Thermal Abs.

This is our standard 1/4" aluminum Tunnel Plate with a special Thermal Overlay to reduce the amount of heat transfer into the console area.

It really does the trick
Attached Thumbnails

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i PUT 2 stock tunnel plates on,1 sprayed with 1200 degree paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by water boy
400 HP will have its trade offs.

WB

Yes, there is a lot of waste heat from a big motor. The reports of heat over in the z06 section are even worse like melted carpet!

IMO it's not a trade off due to engine size it's all about GM saving money and know that loyal vette buyers will put up with the result. The factory could have specified a thicker plate like Elite's . The incremental cost would have been relatively small I think. Same labor to make it, handle it, transport it, and install it. Just more for the cost of materials.

But they chose to use a thin cheap cover material. I doubt it's a design defect rather a clear in your face example of the result of saving money at the expense of the buyer.

just my opinion

What I can suggest regarding this problem is get a tunnel heat shield, which will cover the tunnel.

I bro...
ynkedad is offline   Reply With Quote