View Single Post
Unread 11-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Transmission jack confusion

Well, the drivetrain noise on the C5Z has gotten worse lately, so I'm going to need to try to figure out exactly what is causing it. But like it or not, one way or another, I'm sure the drivetrain is going to have to come out. So I'm steeling myself for that chore by reading up on what I'm going to be facing and what tools I will need.

I'm sure I'm going to be needing at least one transmission jack, so I've been carefully looking over all the units available to try to figure out which one (or two) will be best for me to work with. But the problem is that I am missing something very basic about these things. The issue is with the head or platform that the transmission (and/or differential) actually rests upon.

I believe having the capability of tilting the platform will be beneficial, especially when trying to line up the shafts to re-install the components (trans, dif, and torque tube), but apparently most platforms I see only have the capability of tilting in one direction. In the pic above the tilt screw will tilt the platform up or down in the left or right direction. This particular platform may have another adjustment, but ordinarily it is to just move the platform laterally in the opposite direction, but does not effect any sort of tilting.

But I'm just not getting it. Those brackets on the sides of the platform look like they would be a problem in that the edges would contact the underside of the transmission. Meaning the transmission will sit on the edges of those brackets. I feel like the transmission should actually be positioned front to back in the pic above so it will rest FLAT on the platform. But if I do that, then the tilting adjustment will not tilt the transmission the way it would be needed to try to get the shaft aligned properly.

So what am I missing here? Yes, there are some transmission jacks that come with platforms that do tilt in both dimensions, but there are so many with just a single adjustment that I feel like I just have to be missing something basic with the way these things are supposed to be used.

Anyone have experience using a transmission jack that can help straighten me out with this?