View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Personal tuning options?

Well this is another topic that has been driving me batty lately. I really want to do a tune on my Z after getting the headers and other stuff, but not sure about which option would be best. A lot of people like the dyno tunes, but heck, as far as I know, there is no one within 2 or 3 hours of here to do that for me. And do I really want a WOT tune? I am more interested in seat of the pants oomph with normal street driving, so I'm not sure a dyno tune is really for me. Plus it would cost me $700, and for that kind of money, well I could BUY my own tuning software or handheld. And here is where I stumble.

My vette tech at the Chevy dealership really seems to like the Diablo Predator. And I have heard good things about the Vinci handheld as well. But on the other hand, some people will say they are rather limited and I should go for HPTuners of EFILive for a more full featured PC based program. But both of them are on the verge of an upgrade, so it wouldn't make sense to buy the product now and then have to pay for an upgrade in a month, when I would get the upgraded product by just waiting a bit longer. But do I want to have to lug my laptop out to the Z for this stuff? So then I start going back to thinking about the Diablo or Vinci.

I don't know. It just doesn't seem like the perfect product is out there yet. What I guess I want is a handheld like the Diablo that I can cart out to the Z to do the programming and scanning and data collection. Cart it back to the PC to do the voodoo experimental tinkering, dump that to the handheld, and then take the handheld out to plug into the Z to see how it does. I think Diablo does have something like this, but the PC based program appears to only be available to distributors so they can program the Diablos they sell.

Darn, this makes my head hurt. I feel that no matter what I choose to buy, I'm going to regret it and wish I had gone the other route. But I guess I can just hold off and learn more. The Z runs just fine now, so there is no pressing reason to rush into things. And maybe that perfect solution is just over the horizon.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote