View Single Post
Unread 02-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
Hot BluZ

Name :
Hot BluZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Interesting.... So a radar detector detects signals over a wide bandwidth and not just a specific frequency? I would have thought it would be a very narrow range....
Here's what looks like a fairly comprehensive site on radars and radar detector operation. I didn't read through it all.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/radar-detector1.htm

The radars do operate on a fairly narrow bandwidth, but it doesn't take much of a shift to prevent interference. Detectors read these signals with varying degrees of sensitivity and only when the radar is turned on.

The ones that will really get you without any warning from your detector until it's too late are when the officer is stopped and pointing at specific vehicles. They turn the radar on so by the time your detector goes off, it's too late.

When the troopers are driving their radar is on all the time, so the detectors will work pretty well in these circumstances and probably would have saved the OP.

The laser/lidar units are a whole different animal, so if you're buying a detector, make sure it reads that too.

As far as court, I don't have much experience in Florida, just California. So as far as an attorney, if it was California I'd say don't spend the money because you're only facing an infraction, most traffic courts will accept the request to attend traffic school for a first offense infraction. It'll still cost you in court fees and for the school, but you won't have any points on your record.

Most attorneys are going to charge you several hundred dollars for their appearance time, and that's over and above any court costs. However, they may be able to make the appearance for you so you don't miss a day of work. So you have to way the pros and cons and you comfort with handling this issue.

If you go it along, you should try to talk to the DA or bailiff before the court starts to make your request to attend traffic school. They might have literature available at the court traffic office regarding this process. Try calling the court clerk's office before your court date to see if they have any information on this, or they can probably advise you on the process.

2004 Z06/Z16 #4 Born on July 26, 2004 - Sold Aug 07

1969 Coupe - White - Sold 1976
Hot BluZ is offline   Reply With Quote