View Single Post
Unread 12-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Sorry to hear about the citation Rich. I wouldn't have written you for 13 over and I doubt many of my associates would. It would probably get you stopped for a look-see, but my guys in green would most likely just give you a warning. Don't get me wrong, I love my brothers in the tan uniform with the orange on the sleeve, but many of them (especially the new guys) are unmerciful with the citation book. I know they're just doing their job and really that IS their job, so I don't knock on em too hard. Several of them are good friends of mine but I don't know the one who wrote you. I haven't written a speeding citation in so long I don't even know how much nine over is anymore. It used to be $118.50 but that's been a while back. You can request a hearing. It will be with Judge Walker. I would just plead ignorance as to your not being aware what speed zone you were in, and let her know of your past record. Get a lifetime copy of your driving record from DMV before you go. Let it be known however, she will ask the officer what his recommendation is....I have seen her withold points and the fine, provided traffic school was completed within so many days, but that was with the officer going along with it. I would just throw myself at the mercy of the court, explain the hardship of your insurance going up, etc....or get a lawyer. That should keep the points off, especially given your driving record. In any event, you have 30 days to think about it. Keep me posted.
Yeah... I think the best route will be to just pay the fine ($101) and do the online traffic school thing. I really don't want to chance the judge asking about the muffler thing and making an issue of it. Not sure what sort of pandora's box that could open up on me. The trooper did sort of threaten me that if I DID take it to court, he would press for the 58 in 45, so I got the impression he wasn't real keen about going to court. I believe the muffler thing was also added incentive that I wouldn't press it.

I really wasn't rude to the trooper, but I did not hide the fact that I was pretty pissed about it. Like I said, I really was biting my tongue the entire time.

It's not the money, of course, just the whole petty way this sort of thing is being done. It just seems so damned mercenary and predatory, and lowers the inherent respectability that we wish for law enforcement agencies. Catching people exceeding the speed limit blatantly is one thing, but come on.... Sitting like vultures along the road hoping someone will miss the speed reduction signs on rural roadways just lowers them to being common highway robbers, in my opinion. Yeah, things are tough for the agencies right now with budget cuts, but things are tough for everyone. All something like this does is to add insult to injury. There are some people who will get caught up in crap like this where $100 bucks might make the difference between them being able to pay their electric bill or not that month. Of course, maybe if I hadn't been driving a Corvette, things might have gone differently.....