View Single Post
Unread 08-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Had soil borings done on Friday. There is pipe clay at three corners of the area where the garage will go, but down between 8.5 and 9 feet. The engineer for the building doing the foundation drawings says that won't be a problem. So hopefully I'll have the drawings this week.

Had the concrete guy (Mike Smith - Custom Concrete Services) come by today and look over the site. He'll be back on Wednesday to put in the forms for the slab. He's going to do the slab first, then the 20 ft. apron afterwards. I told him the important criteria is that the slope from the apron into the garage cannot be too sharp that I can't get my cars over the lip without scraping the undercarriage. After that, he really can't do anything until I have the permit.

I will be going to the permitting office on Monday to get that started. Evidently they have it arranged that you need to get a permit to get a permit, if that makes any sense. Pretty much just a way to make an additional $30 out of everyone who wants to get a permit.

But hopefully there won't be any major headaches with this. From what some people are saying, as long as the engineer doing the foundation drawings states that the pipe clay will not be an issue with the foundation and states such in the documents, then there won't be any problems. But we'll see....