View Single Post
Unread 12-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
srs244
78 pace car

Name :
srs244 has disabled reputation

to come into the state with existing vehicles (as in moving here, lol), there is no sales tax due since you already paid that when you bought the cars (or you didn't if you were lucky enough to live somewhere where there was no sales tax at the time). they do however really stick it to you with their "fee for registering a vehicle for the first time in our state" administration charges, LMAO!! keeping in mind that we do not have a state income tax here and that all the localized taxes go to make up for those tax revenues, the "jesse james without a gun" approach explains what appears to be high fees at pretty much every turn. a further example of that is the cost of gasoline in the state. before the most recent little increase in prices, the cheapest gas in my area was still north of $2.16/gallon regular. most of the folks i talk to in other parts of the country were paying well south of $2.00 at the time. the difference.........tax make up for the lack of a state income tax. if you look around, you will see that pretty much everywhere from cigarettes to alcohol, to just about everything else. unfortunately i have lived here a very long time and my frame of reference on other state motor vehicle fees is non-existant, so i guess i don't go into sticker shock each year when i renew my registrations, lol. i do remember however, feeling the same way when i registered my 78 pace car a few years ago when i got hit with the "out of state, one time admin fee" charges on top of sales tax on top of the licensing charges, so i understand your pain.

BTW the out of state registration would go south on you real quick from an insurance standpoint if you ever had a problem like an accident or a loss of some kind, with an out of state registration (by the way it is against the law in florida as you have 30 days to register a car in this state once you have moved here from out of state). all it would take would be an insurance adjustor's interview with a neighbor who says you've lived there for a while to have them deny the claim.

steve
srs244 is offline   Reply With Quote