View Single Post
Unread 12-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs244
to come into the state with existing vehicles (as in moving here, lol), there is no sales tax due since you already paid that when you bought the cars (or you didn't if you were lucky enough to live somewhere where there was no sales tax at the time).

This is not entirely true. I moved here from Mass three years ago where the sales tax rate is 5%. I had bought a new 2003 Envoy and after my trade and rebate I paid $26,000. I paid the state of Mass $1300.00 in sales tax. When I registered my three cars here I was told that because I owned the Envoy less than six months I would have to pay the state of Florida 2% sales tax on $26,000 because the rate here is 7% as opposed to Mass's 5%. That was $520.00 in tax to Florida. Then she told me that if I didn't produce my sales contract to prove that I only paid $26,000 they would charge me 2% of retail which was $43,000. I gave them my invoice and she made a copy. But wait, there not done screwing me yet. A month later they sent me a letter telling they reviewed my contract an I got a $6000 rebate from GMC. Well Mass charges you tax on what you pay not on rebates, however you guessed it Florida charges sales tax on rebates so I owed this state another $420.00 in tax. So to the state of Mass I originally paid $1300.00, and to this state I paid about $900.00. Talk about getting screwed without getting kissed. And to top it off when I paid the $420 fee at the DMV after I paid it the douchbag said I should have waited until I owned it for six months, then registered it and I wouldn't have to pay any additional tax.

SRQ....no it wouldn't be legal to register it in NH for six months unless you had an address there that you could use, like a relative or something. If you did register it there to beat the tax you would run into Florida residency problems like the homestead exemption. Also if you did get into a serious accident that would be a whole new can of worms.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote