View Single Post
Unread 04-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I heard an interesting tidbit from someone just the other day. They STRONGLY suggested driving without using your seatbelt. The cops are MUCH more interested in writing tickets for that these days and will normally forego the speeding ticket if they can give you one for the seat belt. Since it is no moving violation, it's simply a fine with no points attached to it.

Not sure how accurate or true it is, but the guy said he had heard that from several reliable sources. Maybe there is a big push for them to get these citations on the books for some reason.

I wouldn't do it. In my experience in this area they will write BOTH cites. Then you're in deeper. Plus, NO MATTER WHAT the guy who knew someone who's cousin's friend's little sister's boyfriend says about surviving a crash because he would've drowned/burned/been crushed if he were wearing his seatbelt,,,, IT's BS. Seatbelts save lives. There's no way to control a car from the passenger seat if things get hairy. More heads hit windshields, and more people get crushed getting ejected than EVER die from being trapped in a car.

Here's a link to a video from a helicopter of a guy being ejected and run over by a passing car when he crashed. Granted, it's a Police pursuit, but anything over 10 or 15 mph could throw someone from a car, let alone at highway speeds.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F...6D6DCCF86D.htm

Just my .02 cents, off the soapbox now.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote