Thread: Steering slop
View Single Post
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:01 PM   #7
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
There is an adjustment on the steering box itself, a small slotted screw that is held down by a lock nut. Also check your idler arm for slop and also check the upper and lower control arm bushings. Alot of times the rubber in them deteriorates and it gives the car a floaty feel. I changed the ball joints and control arm bushings in my 66, did an alignment and it was like night and day. There are a couple of bearings in the steering box that might also be shot, plus you can replace the worm gear in there. I would tend to believe that there is something up with the bushings or steering linkage instead of the box itself.

I recently rebuilt the front end on the GTX, new control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links and idler arm and let me tell ya first hand I'd rather do the same work on a GM anyday, much easier and no special tools required except a vise.
Use caution when making adjustments to the steering gear box. The slotted screw is the worm gear adjuster and can easily break if excess pressure is used. I would advise to consult with a Chiltons manual or someone who has one of these apart. I adjusted one on a truck one time and was told afterward what could have happened.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote