Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, for me doing my own 50hr service, these were the costs involved:

Filters - $272.00

Amsoil Severe Gear Oil - $118.00

Shell Rotella T6 - $60

Lucas Synthetic Universal - $226.00

So all total that came to $676.00 for filters and fluids.

Now I did get a new air filter, fuel filter element, and fuel/water separator filter that I didn't need to replace at this time. And certainly I paid top dollar on the fluids as I went with all synthetics whereas I am sure Lee Trailer uses regular dino fluids, plus they buy them in bulk. I will say that since putting the synthetics in the tractor, everything seems a lot quieter, especially the hydraulics, which used to squeal quite a bit. And the front end loader seems a lot more responsive to the touch.

The only thing I see that would be a real pain is that hydraulic strainer/filter. I could barely pull it out just to clean part of it, but to replace the thing, well, it looks like I would have to take off the driver's side rear wheel AND a sizeable part of the frame that would block that endeavor. Fortunately it didn't need to be replaced for the 50hr service, but when it comes time to replace it, unless I can find a trick for doing it easily myself, I may have Lee Trailer do that for me. I would imagine those rear wheels are quite heavy, and likely more than I want to be handling.

Other than that, it was kind of an all day job, which would probably go quicker the second time around. Is it worth saving a few hundred bucks? Well, figure into the expense of doing yourself that you will likely ruin whatever clothes you are wearing from being soaked with one oil or another. Then you have cleanup, and disposal of the old fluids. I dunno. Probably a toss up. Being retired, I have the time to spare, but if you are working your job, it might mean giving up a weekend to do it. How much is that worth to you?