The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Coastal

Name :
Coastal is on a distinguished road
Default 75th Anniversary Corvette or C?

When I bought my 50th Anniversary Edition, my daughter was 13. I tell her that when the 75th comes out, she is to buy one and we’ll drive them to Bowling Green for the big birthday bash together. I should still be able to see over the steering wheel by then.

With 20 years to go and the current energy issues, I’m wondering, what’s it going to be like. Just 5 years ago, I never had a second thought about life in the US without the Corvette or GM for that matter. Now, it seems these are very real possibilities. Although the Corvette has been a money maker for GM, it’s here today probably more because it’s a part of their history than its income potential to their bottom line. With the C7 on hold and GM bleeding million dollar bills no one can be certain if I’ll be able to keep that date I made with my daughter or what might be powering her car (or mine for that matter) by then.

What do you think might be the in the corporate cards? Will my daughter be driving the new first generation Corvette manufactured by Toyota/GM? Will the Corvette turn into its own brand after being bought by investors from the Corvette owner’s community? Or will GM be unveiling its 75th Anniversary Edition C10 hydrogen Corvette?
Unread 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

There is still a good chance the 75th will be gas powered. It may be some crazy lab generated stuff, ethenal or who knows what. But at this point it certainly has a good chance of being hydro or electric powered. There are a couple of prototype electric powered sports cars that have turned some good numbers. I just doubt they'd be able to run long. How'd you like to see that C10-R pitstop at LeMans. Roll in to plug the car in for a super 35 second power charge.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

I'm no soothsayer but I'm concerned about the future of Corvettes, and cars in general. When you're dealing with a finite resource like fossil fuels, change is not a matter of if, but when. At some point, all cars will run on alternate sources of power. When that happens, I'm afraid my association with Corvette will be over. I love the looks of my car and the looks it gets. More than anything though, I love the sound and feel of a big powerful V-8. That's what defines a muscle car more than anything else for me. When that disappears, well, I might as well take a taxi to work.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote