The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 11-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
grumpyvette
retired mech engineer

Name :
grumpyvette has disabled reputation
Default beware of DEALS on EBAY

I recently read two seperate threads about guys having machine work done on engine blocks and in both cases, after a good deal of cash changed hands defects in the blocks were found that made thier use in a high performance application, impossiable, in one the cylinder walls were really way to thin even thought the block appeared to be in great shape, in the other there were micro cracks in the main webs.....heres the sad part, in both cases the shops said the owners took the parts, and stated they would re-coupe much of their machine work cost by dumping the blocks on EBAY or craigs list.
On a differant thread a crank was machined for a differant damper retention thread size,because the orriginal threads stripped out. The machinest broke off a drill bit tip deep into the crank snout, durring the repair, same deal.....on its way to resale to un-suspecting buyers.
The point here, is that this crap goes on all the time, ebay has become a dumping place for crap that would be generally un-saleable elseware or locally so Don,t assume things are as described.
grumpyvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

I rarely use fles-bay any more after getting scammed last year.

Hey Grump. I have 2 sets of old double humps FS that appear good....let me know if you know anyone that wants them.
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Ebay has it's uses.... I've gotten burned a couple of times, but the majority of the time I did OK. I think that PayPal is much of the problem. If you could pay directly with a credit card or postal money order for the purchases there, most of the problems would vanish. Once PayPal got bought out by Ebay, it pretty much became just a tool of Ebay. You can pretty much forget about getting your money back when you get scammed. The seller could send you a rock in a box, and as long as he or she can show a tracking number, PayPal will side with the seller. But if the seller is selling nontangible goods, then they will side with the BUYER every time, since there is no tracking number associated with the transaction.

Of course, Ebay is too big now to really fail. And even if it did, I guess the government would bail them out anyway.....
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

You're never to big to fail and they can always be sued

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Ebay is what it is, a market place. Buyer beware.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote