The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 08-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road
Default Mid-engined Corvette development confirmed... by Saab engineers?!

The much-rumored mid-engined Corvette project has been unexpectedly confirmed by a senior Saab source.

The engineer revealed in a trade magazine that Saab’s engineers had developed a double-clutch transmission for a "mid-engined version of the Corvette" when Saab was General Motors' centre of competence for those systems.

The source also revealed that the wet-clutch transmission was designed to cope with up to 590lbft of torque, only marginally less than delivered by today’s Corvette ZR-1 V8.

The news of the DCT project confirms just how serious GM was about shifting to a mid-engined layout for the new-generation car.

It’s thought that the mid-engined Corvette concept was fully engineered but became a victim of the credit crunch in 2008.

However, the latest rumours from the US suggest the mid-engined layout is now back on the agenda for the next-generation C8 Corvette, which is expected to arrive in five years’ time.

GM bosses are also said to be considering downsizing to a V6 engine, probably backed up by turbochargers. The C8 could also be more compact and lighter, possibly using more aluminium in its construction.

There have been numerous mid-engined Corvette concepts since the 1960s; the last concept to feature such a layout was the CERV III in 1990 (above).

Source: http://www.autocar.co.uk

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

I have absolutely no insight into this, but from an outsiders POV, I can see it as inevitable if GM wants to continue to play in the performance pool.

CARB standards, vehicle safety standards, blah blah, blah, are going to do one of 2 things:
1) Put a crimp in the V8 motor market
2) Cause them to limit production to avoid the standards, which will drive the price point high enough that only a select few would even consider buying the vette over an "exotic" or performance import.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with a mid engine, lightweight body/framed, turbo/supercharged V6.

They've (v6's) proven thier reliability and performance in numerous racing applications, and with turbos especially, can be significantly more fuel efficient than the V8 while still maintaining a high degree of performance.

Add the significantly reduces weight of the vehicle, and you're back in the Z territiry poste haste without noticing anything more than a slightly heavier wallet by reducing fuel costs.

FWIW, the pic above is horrid!

I just hope the designers, if they decide to do this, will have more forward looking visions

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
ironhorse
Road Warrior

Name :
ironhorse is on a distinguished road

That won't happen...That project was way before GM tanked for a bail out...
ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

The fact is that a lot of foreign country's now exceed the US in engineering abilities .Go to MIT in Boston and see what the student demographics are .The Arabs are building huge university cities .The Japanese have programs light years ahead of Micro soft .

The basis of our engineering abilities came from the auto industry and air & space .When a person buys a foreign name vehicle it may be manufactured in the US but the brain power is exported.

As for the mid engine Corvette it proves that GM engineers are not capable.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
That won't happen...That project was way before GM tanked for a bail out...
I guess that depends on when Curacao's article was written?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett boy View Post
The fact is that a lot of foreign country's now exceed the US in engineering abilities .Go to MIT in Boston and see what the student demographics are .The Arabs are building huge university cities .The Japanese have programs light years ahead of Micro soft .

The basis of our engineering abilities came from the auto industry and air & space .When a person buys a foreign name vehicle it may be manufactured in the US but the brain power is exported.

As for the mid engine Corvette it proves that GM engineers are not capable.
Unfortunately, you're right

GM is too "stuck" in the past to really move forward without some outside influence.

Styling, performance, fuel economy....has to be there to survive.

They're relying on a older demographic to maintain teh vette.

Once that dies off or becomes disenchanted with the product, they'll be hurting.

I'd really hate to see that happen.

They need to wake up.

Remember:

Unread 08-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
road pilot

Name :
road pilot has disabled reputation

Isn't Saab owned by the Chinese now?? I don't believe much that they
say.
road pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
XQIZT
Defender of the C4's

Name :
XQIZT is on a distinguished road

First, that photo is of a 90's concept...second, talks of a mid-engined 'vette have been circling for decades. Stop biting the bait. It'll never happen if GM wants to keep the price point where it is. A unique, once off, mid engine platform with all the unique parts that go with it will make the 'vette unaffordable to most.

Additionally, the 5.5L DI motor that is in the C6R right now is going to be the next motor for the C7. Why would they be doing all this development/testing/research if there were more credible talks of a TT V6?
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by road pilot View Post
Isn't Saab owned by the Chinese now?? I don't believe much that they
say.
Volvo if I'm not mistaken is Chinese.Saab was taken over by some Scandinavian company that made wheelbarrows and adult sex toys.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Additionally, the 5.5L DI motor that is in the C6R right now is going to be the next motor for the C7. Why would they be doing all this development/testing/research if there were more credible talks of a TT V6?
I hope you are right. My plan is to upgrade from my 2006 to a 2013 (C7??) for my own birthday present.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
First, that photo is of a 90's concept...second, talks of a mid-engined 'vette have been circling for decades. Stop biting the bait. It'll never happen if GM wants to keep the price point where it is. A unique, once off, mid engine platform with all the unique parts that go with it will make the 'vette unaffordable to most.

First, read Curacao' initial post.
The last line:
Quote:
There have been numerous mid-engined Corvette concepts since the 1960s; the last concept to feature such a layout was the CERV III in 1990 (above).
, makes it clear that the pic is NOT a recent design.

Second, no one is "biting the bait." We're just a discussing the link provided by another auto source.
Quote:
Source: http://www.autocar.co.uk
As far as "never" goes, that's a long time. I generally avoid those assumptions.

It was said repeatedly on some other sites (the blue one and Brand X specifically, that GM would "never" place a removable top on the Z06. It was also said that it "couldn't be done" due to the "torque stresses"
These comments were made repeatedly by several "in the know" types

A few years later, enter Corvette GS stage right
As well, a local guy has not only had the Targa installed on his Z06, but had it track tested by GM and found it more sturdy in torsional rigidity, than the factory version hardtop
So "never"?
Not likely, but I won't say it.

I do agree with you though for the reasons you mentioned, cost.

The massive retooling required, and the R & D costs (which I've always viewed as BS anyway! If you don't develop it, you can't sell it!) would drive the car into the "exotic" price range and out of the reach or interest of many of the "average" Corvette owners. For that kind of coin, I'd probably purchase something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett boy View Post
Volvo if I'm not mistaken is Chinese.Saab was taken over by some Scandinavian company that made wheelbarrows and adult sex toys.
Volvo was initiall Swedish, later sold to Ford.
Not sure who owns it now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou G View Post
I hope you are right. My plan is to upgrade from my 2006 to a 2013 (C7??) for my own birthday present.
I know what you mean. That would be sweet!!
Maybe by then, I'll be ready!

Remember: