The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 04-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road
Default 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Convertible Drops Its Top Ahead Of New York Auto Show

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...op-ahead-of-ny

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Why did they bother calling this model the "Z06"? They should call it the GS/ZR-2.....
Unread 04-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Wow what a beauty. Thanks
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Awesome!
Unread 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Why did they bother calling this model the "Z06"? They should call it the GS/ZR-2.....
Rich, I think they did it because of market demand. GM has had a lot of people ask why don't they make a Z06 in a convertible? So, I think they just responded to what they felt their customer's were asking for.

BTW, with as quick as this thing is going to be, I am not sure it makes a lot of sense in a convertible. I maybe the only one that feels this way, but with the new C7's having the ability to run mid 11s bone stock, I am just not sure it needs to go much faster with out a fixed roof. I can tell you that I don't need my C7 vert to be any quicker or faster than it is now for top down cruising. Plus, if the new C7 Z06 is going to push $100k, then add another $5k or so for the vert. Although they will be great to look at, not sure how practical it would be for me.

JMO.

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
Rich, I think they did it because of market demand. GM has had a lot of people ask why don't they make a Z06 in a convertible? So, I think they just responded to what they felt their customer's were asking for.
Yes, I understand that. But all things considered, why call the car a "Z06" at all? It's really a merging of the GS and ZR-1 models from the C6 generation. Those models had for all intents and purposes just squeezed the Z06 out of the C6 production lineup. The GS eviscerated the unique visual appeal of the Z06 with the widebody body panels, and the ZR-1 eviscerated the performance edge of the Z06 with the forced induction engine. Then we have the speculated price tag of the Z06 matching what the ZR-1 was in the prior generation. So why the heck call the model the "Z06"? I guess it does merge together three different models (GS, Z06, and ZR-1) into one, but I guess I'm not a marketing genius like those people who haunt GM's hallways. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
BTW, with as quick as this thing is going to be, I am not sure it makes a lot of sense in a convertible. I maybe the only one that feels this way, but with the new C7's having the ability to run mid 11s bone stock, I am just not sure it needs to go much faster with out a fixed roof. I can tell you that I don't need my C7 vert to be any quicker or faster than it is now for top down cruising. Plus, if the new C7 Z06 is going to push $100k, then add another $5k or so for the vert. Although they will be great to look at, not sure how practical it would be for me.

JMO.

Rich
Yeah, I think it might put a crimp into anyone's plans wanting to take the convertible version of the C7 Z06 to the racetrack. I'm guessing that some tracks won't allow a convertible for safety concerns.

Personally, I've had a couple of convertibles over the years, and didn't like them much. Heck, the last one was a '98 Jeep Wrangler that I NEVER put the top down. I suspect it's a pretty safe bet to say that I will NEVER buy another convertible.
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, I think it might put a crimp into anyone's plans wanting to take the convertible version of the C7 Z06 to the racetrack. I'm guessing that some tracks won't allow a convertible for safety concerns.
Actually, I don't think any track or sanctioning body will allow convertibles to do high speed events without an approved roll bar. They may get on a track to do parade laps, but not high speed stuff. And this was my point in my earlier message. You cannot use the full power that has been designed and built into a C7 vert, so making a Z06 vert doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, I am sure it will sell, but not nearly as well as the Z06 coupe.

Personally, I love convertibles. In fact, the only Corvette that I own or have owned that is not a convertible is my C5 Z06. I own that car so that I can do some HPDEs occasionally. The other Vettes that I own are for cruising with the top down when the weather is good.

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Its like the Ferraris and such. They have drop tops, big price tags, and a lot of get up and go. Just because you can race it doesn't mean that you will (on a track). Its nice to have the extra romp under your foot, and although I have never owned a true convertible (just a C4 targa top before my C5 Z06 hardtop) I have driven convertibles and they are loads of cool.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
69 z/28

Name :
69 z/28 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up topless beauty Zo6

Chevrolet claims retail 2015 Zo6 hardtop under 100k before dealer markup. good luck trying to get that deal! topless priceless.
69 z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
Rich Z

Yeah, that's what I am talking about. They have the GS options (body panels, vert, auto transmission) on this car minus the LS7 that differentiated the Z06 in the C6 generations, and the car has the ZR-1 options (supercharged engine, price tag) as well.

I guess they have some sort of labeling and pricing strategy in mind that will all come clear to me sometime in the future.....

But heck, not like I'm planning on buying one anyway...... No way my retirement funds would allow for a $100K purchase like that.