The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 05-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Warning about appendicitis....

After my bout with appendicitis last weekend, I was pretty shaken about my ignorance of the symptoms of this potentially dangerous medical event.

I was always under the impression that the appendix was located way down on the right side of my abdomen, below the belt line. So when I was having pain on the right side of my abdomen, slightly above my navel, I never gave appendicitis even a thought as being the cause. I thought it was merely some sort of muscle pull or ache of some sort. This could have been a VERY serious mistake, and one which I am certain other people have already made, and will likely make in the future. So I felt it a good idea to let people know about this ignorance I had in the hopes that it will save you all from possibly making a costly mistake.

If you have even a moderate pain seemingly deep in your abdomen on the right side of your navel, GO TO YOUR DOCTOR immediately. Don't play Mr. Tough Guy with a potential bursting appendix. You do NOT want your appendix to burst before you get it attended to. It will make the difference between your just being in the hospital for a day or two, and recouping in a couple of weeks, or being in the hospital for WEEKS, with recuperation taking MONTHS. Or perhaps dying.
Unread 05-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

When I was six years old Dr.Vogal removed mine.When it came time to remove the adhesive bandage he comforted me by saying it wouldn't hurt.He proceeded to rip it off which left no skin right down to the meat.I look at the faint scare thats 55 years old.My thought is the same now as it was then-may Dr. Vogal rot in hell.The only time I go to a doctor is when -----
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Rich Z

My bandages are still in place. They will come off when they come off. It's really only tape, but it is right over the incisions, and I'm not about to tug on them. There was some padding under bandage on top of these taped areas, which are gone, of course.

When we were being released from the hospital, I asked one of the nurses about the padded bandages and she grabbed one and ripped it off before I could react. Then she proceeded to just yank the IV needle in my arm the same way before I stopped her from going any further. She's just lucky I didn't have my gun on me........
Unread 05-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I was between a rant & rage when I posted .Went to Home Depot this am.Now I know why Tony Stewart goes to anger managment.

Your first post was correct,don't mess around just go.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Rich, glad you're ok. Right sided abdominal pain is something to not be ignored. Let the doctors decide what is the cause....just make sure you GO to the doc so he can examine you
Hope you're back on your feet and driving that Z soon!!
Unread 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
lannia
lannia

Name :
lannia has disabled reputation
Default About the warning

12 years ago I ignored the symptoms to the point of being taken to the hospital. I ended up with a perforated intestine that had been mis-dignosed as the appendix. Short story, 2 months in intensive care in 2 hospitals, 7 surgeries, a bag for 3 months, totally changed life. Was told by many Doctors should've never survived peritonitis and multiple infections. If it hurts, get it checked quick, don't be a superman like I used to be.
lannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

I lost a friend over this, he was only 22.

Im glad your o,k,

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
lannia
lannia

Name :

Thanks. It shows how serious things can get. See the Doctor over little things, keep it from getting bigger. One of the BeeGees died from what I had, and I think Houdini died from appendix.
Be Safe this weekend
Unread 05-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Rich Z

Been getting some statements in from my insurance company that puzzle me. They are NOT A BILL, but I'm not sure what the bill I get is finally going to say. This one is an EXPLANATION OF BENEFITS, which doesn't explain things very well. First off we have a medical savings plan with a high deductible. So I was expecting to pay $5,500 to cover the deductible anyway, and the insurance *should* pick up the rest. But I don't understand what this statement is telling me. What the heck is a "REPRICED AMOUNT"? The statement is showing the total charged from the hospital as $19,854.49, and the REPRICED AMOUNT is $2,767.30. The have a REMARK CODE that indicates that "The repriced amount reflects a negotiated fee from a network provider." A negotiated fee that is $17,000 CHEAPER?

I don't know, but I keep getting the feeling I'm about to get shafted.

Anyone know what the heck this all means?
Unread 05-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #10
lannia
lannia

Name :

You should talk to the insurance person. I have had a lot of these thru the years and it all works out. it can take a few months for all the doctors, x-rays, on & on, to get straight but it isn't as bad as it sounds now.
Alan