The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
C6 Corvette - SRQ

Name :
C6 Corvette - SRQ is on a distinguished road
Default New Tires Losing Pressure

After doing a search, I just read some interesting info here on the forum regarding using nitrogen to fill tires. That does sounds good... But, the tires on my '07 C6 Coupe have regularly lost air pressure and require a weekly addition. Done that since the time I picked it up at the museum. Actually the right front and left rear experience pressure loss more than the other two tires. Obviously (?) I have those "dreaded" Goodyear run-flats that came with the car (3,500 miles). Are they called run-flats because you can drive them after they go flat or BECAUSE they go flat so frequently?

My question: Is this typical / normal with Corvettes? I did check the valve stems but they are all snugged up... Not sure why, but I need to add about 2 - 3 pounds of air to those tires every week. I've never had tires lose pressures so regularly & rapidly before...

Comments & suggestions appreciated?

Thanks, Ed
C6 Corvette - SRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, we've had the C6 since the first of January and not had to top off the air in any of the tires yet. Sounds like maybe the tires aren't seated properly on the rims? Try taking off the caps on the valves and put water in to see if you see bubbles to indicate a bad valve. Worse comes to worse take it to a dealer and claim a defect. Losing air like that is not normal.
Unread 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
C6 Corvette - SRQ

Name :

Thanks Rich. I'll use a soapy solution to check for leaking valve stems, but I suspect that such a small leak probably wouldn't show? Losing, say, half a pound of pressure a day isn't really all that significant --- except that it's from the tires on my precious Corvette. I have gotten so that I leave the DIC on the tire pressure read-out...

If I can get these things to stop deflating, I'd go with filling them with nitrogen as others have discussed in other threads.

I hate to take "my baby" into the dealer <sigh>, but I guess that might be what I have to do.

I've never had a problem with any other vehicles tires like this pesky (nitpicky?) problem. Tires do of course lose air and need a squirt every couple of months or so --- but not on a weekly (or sooner) basis.

Thanks again for the info.

Ed
Unread 06-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Could be a bead problem where the tire seats on the rim, also I have seen new rims be porous causing slow tire pressure loss. I had a 97 Riviera that had chrome plated aluminum rims. Over time the rim bead corroded from filling the tires with air from a compressor that didn't have a water trap on it. Being that your car is new I would say the problem is either the rim itself or the stem is leaking where it fits into the rim.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
C6 Corvette - SRQ

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
Could be a bead problem where the tire seats on the rim, also I have seen new rims be porous causing slow tire pressure loss. I had a 97 Riviera that had chrome plated aluminum rims. Over time the rim bead corroded from filling the tires with air from a compressor that didn't have a water trap on it. Being that your car is new I would say the problem is either the rim itself or the stem is leaking where it fits into the rim.
That makes sense... One or the other or maybe some of both?

I can still remember, as if it were only yesterday, watching as the tires dropped down the conveyor belt at the assembly plant... I never suspected the darn things wouldn't hold air!

By the way, I have chrome wheels. Not that it should have anything to do with the loss of pressure...

Guess I'll have to take the plunge and meet the service manager at the Chevy dealership in Venice... I've read here on the forum that not all service departments are equal. Hopefully they won't rip the rocker panels off by jacking it improperly...
Unread 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :

As a long time Parts and Service Director I would advise that before you let them touch your car express your concerns to the service manager about jacking the car up etc. Let him know that you know there is a procedure and caution must be exercised when lifting the car. Make sure that you tell him you consider your car an investment and you would prefer to have a Corvette experienced person drive and work on it. Don't be afraid to ask about the tech's credentials before he gets behind the wheel. If you don't feel comfortable or get bad vibes from his responses take it somewhere else.

www.adamspolishes.com

Unread 06-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
C6 Corvette - SRQ

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
As a long time Parts and Service Director I would advise that before you let them touch your car express your concerns to the service manager about jacking the car up etc. Let him know that you know there is a procedure and caution must be exercised when lifting the car. Make sure that you tell him you consider your car an investment and you would prefer to have a Corvette experienced person drive and work on it. Don't be afraid to ask about the tech's credentials before he gets behind the wheel. If you don't feel comfortable or get bad vibes from his responses take it somewhere else.
This is the very reason I have been dreading the "It's time to have the experts work on it".

It seems to me that any Mr. Goodwrench should already know all about the need for pucks to avoid damaging the rocker panels when lifting the 'Vette. Of course, that's probably a faulty conclusion, based on the horror stories I've read on the forums.

It is the "etc" that has me perplexed. What exactly are the "other" things the service technician (previously referred to as a mechanic) needs to be careful with? Would it be unreasonable of me to want to stay with my car during servicing. I might have questions or even suggestions... and surely I could even be a great helper?

Perhaps an even better question would be, which Gulf Coast dealership's service department is the best? Say, within a hundred or so miles of Sarasota... I certainly wouldn't mind driving a bit farther if it was going to mean having superior service. I don't think of this car as an investment though, more like a member of the family. At least on par with my best friend, my dog!

Something I'm really not looking forward to is the whole: "Whataya mean the tires are losing error? They don't look flat to me!" Just my luck I guess... If there were leaky wheels to be had, I had to get 'em!

So, if anybody can point me towards a particularly good service department for my Corvette, my entire family would truly appreciate it! I've heard there are several shops to avoid, and that the Punta Gorda and Venice shops are good. Input?

Thanks all...

Ed
Unread 06-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

One question or observation that may be relevant is whether or not the Corvette tech uses fender covers when going under the hood of your car. I'm thinking seriously about carrying my own in the truck with me, and whenever I need service POINTEDLY insist that they be used. Even finding a drop of oil on the fender after an oil change gets me pretty torqued up... But I'm not sure what is worse, finding the oil drop, or having the oil change guy try to wipe if off with some abrasive rag stuck in his pocket...
Unread 06-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 Corvette - SRQ
This is the very reason I have been dreading the "It's time to have the experts work on it".

It seems to me that any Mr. Goodwrench should already know all about the need for pucks to avoid damaging the rocker panels when lifting the 'Vette. Of course, that's probably a faulty conclusion, based on the horror stories I've read on the forums.

It is the "etc" that has me perplexed. What exactly are the "other" things the service technician (previously referred to as a mechanic) needs to be careful with? Would it be unreasonable of me to want to stay with my car during servicing. I might have questions or even suggestions... and surely I could even be a great helper?

Perhaps an even better question would be, which Gulf Coast dealership's service department is the best? Say, within a hundred or so miles of Sarasota... I certainly wouldn't mind driving a bit farther if it was going to mean having superior service. I don't think of this car as an investment though, more like a member of the family. At least on par with my best friend, my dog!

Something I'm really not looking forward to is the whole: "Whataya mean the tires are losing error? They don't look flat to me!" Just my luck I guess... If there were leaky wheels to be had, I had to get 'em!

So, if anybody can point me towards a particularly good service department for my Corvette, my entire family would truly appreciate it! I've heard there are several shops to avoid, and that the Punta Gorda and Venice shops are good. Input?

Thanks all...

Ed

Ok the first thing you have to understand about car dealers is that they are driven by bottom line. Mechanics are flat rate, that means that every procedure pays him only so much time. It's a complex system and I will try to explain. If a warranty job pays one hour and it takes him two he doesn't get paid for the second hour. If he does the job in half an hour he still gets paid for the full hour. Customer pay work is the most profitable for the dealership and the tech, with 15, 30, 60, and 75,000 mile services paying the most, that type of work is called gravy work because it is the easiest and pays the most money. When a warranty customer brings in a car with a list of 3 or 4 or five things wrong with the car chances are the tech isn't going to make much off that job, so no one really wants to do it. If a tech does a one hour job in half an hour, he then grabs another job and literally gets paid twice for that second half hour. A lot of times a tech with two bays or lifts will have two jobs going at the same time getting paid from two customers for the same allotted time period punching on and off. Its a double edge sword as I said for if it takes him longer he loses money. Chances are the best Vette tech in the shop isn't going to do your car as it is a pritty simple case, it's either the stems, the wheels or the tires. They are not going to put a tech that is capable of doing complex repairs and money generating work to do this kind of job. There are all different level tech's, some get $30.00 per hour, some get $15.00 per hour and some get $10.00 per hour. The less they get paid, the less skilled work they get. So a guy getting $10.00 per hour isn't going to get any gravy work or complex warranty work like electrical problems. It just isn't profitable to either the company or the tech. It really isn't fair to you as your car is the second largest investment you will ever make, but all things said and done it is a business that is driven by commissions and bottom line profit. If the service manager is really concerned about customer satisfaction he will understand your delima, if not it will be like a puppy mill for cars.

Now to your particular problem. I would start a written diary of dates and how much air you added. Not just once or twice but at least five or six times entries minimun to show him your really experiencing the problem and it is not normal. Make it clear and accurate so you can hand them something to look and hold, not just explaining to them what you had to do. Explain to the manager that you would like a Corvette trained tech to look at the car as you would like to resolve the problem as soon as possible and explain to him how important the car is to you. Ask him where ever the car goes you would like to go. If he says no way then you make the call then if you want them to work on it. Tell him your jacking concerns, tell him you don't want the car test driven without you in it and tell him you are concerned about lot damage when your car is parked. These are all legatimate concerns and should be no problem. If you meet resistance decide then what you want to do, stay or go.

I'm not sure which dealer in your area is the best, but in your owners manual there is a phone number for the local zone office. They keep very explicit records about customer satisfaction. Call them and ask them if they can tell you which dealers have the highest Customer Satisfaction Scores, if they do they your choice should be easier.

www.adamspolishes.com

Unread 06-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 Corvette - SRQ
After doing a search, I just read some interesting info here on the forum regarding using nitrogen to fill tires. That does sounds good... But, the tires on my '07 C6 Coupe have regularly lost air pressure and require a weekly addition. Done that since the time I picked it up at the museum. Actually the right front and left rear experience pressure loss more than the other two tires. Obviously (?) I have those "dreaded" Goodyear run-flats that came with the car (3,500 miles). Are they called run-flats because you can drive them after they go flat or BECAUSE they go flat so frequently?

My question: Is this typical / normal with Corvettes? I did check the valve stems but they are all snugged up... Not sure why, but I need to add about 2 - 3 pounds of air to those tires every week. I've never had tires lose pressures so regularly & rapidly before...

Comments & suggestions appreciated?

Thanks, Ed
Ed, Dimmit Chevrolet in Clearwater told me that for $60.00 they would take the air out of all of my tires and fill them with nitrogen. They said to come back for more, AT NO COST, whenever the pressure dropped. They told me that all aluminum wheels are porous, and that since nitrogen molecules are larger than air molecules, the nitrogen can't escape from the porousity holes and the tires do not lose pressure. This assumes that the valve stems are good and that the tires are seated fully and correctly. Could be B.S. as far as I know, but it SOUNDS believeable.
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote