The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 09-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Black1966

Name :
Black1966 has disabled reputation
Default HELP

I got in my car and started it this morning and it went...big LOUD poof and alot of smoke rolled out from under the hood I jumpe dout and lifted the hood and the smoke was coming from the center of the motor where there are like 2 long plastic cover things its almost like they where blown loose one actually fell off and then it had alittle smoke coming up for maybe 3-4 minutes after the big poof but it wasnt like on fire I almost want to say more like it was from some wires that were there. I had it towed to a shop but they havent even looked at it and wont till Monday. Just wondering if anyone had any clue what they think it could be.

Any info wrong or right would be great so I know what I might be dealing with.

THANKS!
Black1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Whatever it is, I doubt it will be good news....
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

I assume this is a 66 with manuel engine mounted fuel pump,
but my guess is the fuel pump diaphragm is leaking fuel into the oil!
I've seen them with just 1 backfire,blow the valve covers clean off'em!!
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Black1966

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Whatever it is, I doubt it will be good news....
Well thanks for being blunt lol! When it happend I didn't think it sounded or looked good. I'm sure it will cost me a arm & a leg. just to get my thermostat changed it cost me $313 long story about the computer and the person that had it before me did some kind of funky re-wiring.
Thanks
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Black1966

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
Its a 95. The tow truck guy said it sounded like to him it backfired into the distributer cap or cam he wasnt sure he admitted he doesnt know alot about working on cars but he said to hope for the distributer cap though I guess its cheaper.
Thanks
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1966 View Post
I got in my car and started it this morning and it went...big LOUD poof and alot of smoke rolled out from under the hood I jumpe dout and lifted the hood and the smoke was coming from the center of the motor where there are like 2 long plastic cover things its almost like they where blown loose one actually fell off and then it had alittle smoke coming up for maybe 3-4 minutes after the big poof but it wasnt like on fire I almost want to say more like it was from some wires that were there. I had it towed to a shop but they havent even looked at it and wont till Monday. Just wondering if anyone had any clue what they think it could be.

Any info wrong or right would be great so I know what I might be dealing with.

THANKS!
Quote:
like 2 long plastic cover things
1) Have your removed the covers (or what's left of them)?
What did you see? Can you snap and post a picture? Would be easier to help diagnose.

Junkie is great with these machines and might be able to assist you over the net if he had more information. Your screen name sort of threw him I think.

There are others here that can certainly help, once we know more about the car and maybe a pic or 2 of the engine.

2) what shop did you have it taken to?

If you are interested, and can get to it, I'd have it taken over to Andre Alito @ Insty Lube & Tune on North Dale Mabry just south of Bearss today!

http://www.instytunetampa.com/

14783 N. dale Mabry Hwy.
(813) 960-3908

If you click on the provided link, Andre is the dark haired guy in the middle behind the 2 little girls)
He is a vette guy from jump and knows his stuff! (look in the parking lot).

Not only will your car not be sitting until Monday for someone to look at it, he'll actually know what to do to fix it!
If the weather cooperates, every saturday afternoon around 5-6pm until 7-8 (no set time frame), there's a vette gathering that takes place at the shop.
There's occasionally "special wrenching" too when there's time.

If your on the East side of Tampa, I'd take it to gregg at AntiVenom in Seffner. Again, another top notch vette guy

The reason I mention them in this order is simple convenience.

I've had my vette when I had it, to both oand will not hesitate to take the next one to either of them.

He has turned out some phenominal vettes, I've seen and been the recipient of his handiwork many times over, and he always stands behind his job!

He treats your car like his own.
Clean, fair, quick and honest.
Doesn't get any better than this!

Andre and his shop does all our routine maintenance on all our family cars and has for years.
OInly had one issue and he went well out of his way to make it right (and I do mean well out of the way!)
I trust him implicitly. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend him to family and friends.

Tell him Gordon sent you.

Best of luck on the car.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
I've seen that happen before! Tore the valve cover right off the bolts that hold them down!
Unread 09-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Black1966

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
1) Have your removed the covers (or what's left of them)?
What did you see? Can you snap and post a picture? Would be easier to help diagnose.

Junkie is great with these machines and might be able to assist you over the net if he had more information. Your screen name sort of threw him I think.

There are others here that can certainly help, once we know more about the car and maybe a pic or 2 of the engine.

2) what shop did you have it taken to?

If you are interested, and can get to it, I'd have it taken over to Andre Alito @ Insty Lube & Tune on North Dale Mabry just south of Bearss today!

http://www.instytunetampa.com/

14783 N. dale Mabry Hwy.
(813) 960-3908

If you click on the provided link, Andre is the dark haired guy in the middle behind the 2 little girls)
He is a vette guy from jump and knows his stuff! (look in the parking lot).

Not only will your car not be sitting until Monday for someone to look at it, he'll actually know what to do to fix it!
If the weather cooperates, every saturday afternoon around 5-6pm until 7-8 (no set time frame), there's a vette gathering that takes place at the shop.
There's occasionally "special wrenching" too when there's time.

If your on the East side of Tampa, I'd take it to gregg at AntiVenom in Seffner. Again, another top notch vette guy

The reason I mention them in this order is simple convenience.

I've had my vette when I had it, to both oand will not hesitate to take the next one to either of them.

He has turned out some phenominal vettes, I've seen and been the recipient of his handiwork many times over, and he always stands behind his job!

He treats your car like his own.
Clean, fair, quick and honest.
Doesn't get any better than this!

Andre and his shop does all our routine maintenance on all our family cars and has for years.
OInly had one issue and he went well out of his way to make it right (and I do mean well out of the way!)
I trust him implicitly. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend him to family and friends.

Tell him Gordon sent you.

Best of luck on the car.
Thanks for all the info!! I have it at Firestone on Gunn Highway. I dont have the car here to take a pic they have had it since 10am Friday and havent heard from them but the guy that works on it doesnt work on Sat. and they were real busy fri.
I know the Insty Tune your talking about one of my friends used to work there yrs ago. I will see what they say tomorrow if I could drive it I would take it there now but I dont want to pay another $127 for it to be towed again. Thanks again for your help!
Unread 09-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1966 View Post
Thanks for all the info!! I have it at Firestone on Gunn Highway. I dont have the car here to take a pic they have had it since 10am Friday and havent heard from them but the guy that works on it doesnt work on Sat. and they were real busy fri.
I know the Insty Tune your talking about one of my friends used to work there yrs ago. I will see what they say tomorrow if I could drive it I would take it there now but I dont want to pay another $127 for it to be towed again. Thanks again for your help!
No problem.

I buy tires at firestone, and that's it!
Anything other than an oil change, I take to someone who knows what they're doing. I even have Andre's shop do my oil changes (was just there today-Sunday).

For the benefit of all the members here as well as yourself, Insty Lube & Tune referenced above, is now open on Saturday AND sunday

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
Black1966

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
No problem.

I buy tires at firestone, and that's it!
Anything other than an oil change, I take to someone who knows what they're doing. I even have Andre's shop do my oil changes (was just there today-Sunday).

For the benefit of all the members here as well as yourself, Insty Lube & Tune referenced above, is now open on Saturday AND sunday
The only reason I take it there is because there is 1 guy that I trust to work on it my dad and I have been going to him for yrs. It is fixed now... a 1000 dollars later. But I got a oil change and a total tune-up and thats when he found the problem it was with some wire plug thing that shorted out because it was getting moisture built up on it because whoever owened the car before me didnt fix it right or didnt have the $ to fix it the way it should be.
The car is running great now just got it back last night.
Thanks for all your info and help!!