The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 06-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Hell, I'll take heat over snow and ice any day of the week.....
I don't know...it would be nice to live someplace that actually has FOUR seasons, instead of two...truth be known I think we have two weeks of spring and two weeks of fall...just not all two weeks at once! I kind of like the old adage that you can always put more clothes on....but you can only take so many off....I've lived and/or worked in Alaska, Northern Japan, and New Jersey but I've actually felt colder here in Florida. I've also been to the equator, and it didn't seem that much hotter than it does around here on a typical August day. And I've been to west Texas (El Paso) and experienced the dry desert heat. I still think I'm allergic to humidity! I'm much more comfortable in the 50's than I am in the 90's. Now when I was a kid living in Pompano Beach I thought I was freezing when it hit the 60's! My how times change. Maybe I should spend winters here and summers in International Falls, Minnesota....
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Default Heat

Keep one thing in mind....heat, you don't have to shovel it.!!!
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Supposed to hit 102 degrees here again today. I cancelled a reptile shipment I had scheduled to go out. WAY too hot to be shipping live animals.
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Maybe I should spend winters here and summers in International Falls, Minnesota....
Well, that's what a lot of people tend to do. I believe they are called "snowbirds"......
Unread 06-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hell, I'll take heat over snow and ice any day of the week.....
Not me. You will never hear me complain that it's too cold here. The only thing bad about the snow though would be not driving the Vette. That's it for me, bring me the snow and cold.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

7 straight days of 100 plus degrees here in the panhandle! Today may make 8! Does anybody think they could handle this without A/C? It's all in what you're used to I guess....
Unread 06-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADN3SS View Post
Not me. You will never hear me complain that it's too cold here. The only thing bad about the snow though would be not driving the Vette. That's it for me, bring me the snow and cold.
Well, I lived in Maryland for 40 years and had my fill of cold. And Maryland isn't one of the coldest states in the union, neither. But pretty much from October through April you could expect to not be planning a picnic during the weekends. Heavy snowfalls were common in February, but sometimes scattered throughout the Winter months. Roads were salted frequently because of ice, which plays hell on anything metal on your vehicles. And if you want REAL excitement get caught out driving in freezing rain someday. One minute you are driving normally, then the next you are spinning down the road with absolutely NO control over where you are going.

Heck, I remember MANY MANY mornings having to start up my vehicle and let it run for a good 15 to 20 minutes just to warm up enough so I could hold onto the steering wheel without wearing gloves or my butt get frosty on that cold seat. The defroster would be working as hard as it could to melt that inch of ice on the windshield so I could see where I was going. Ever had your hand stick to a gas pump because it froze to the nozzle? Ever feel your nose hairs FREEZE to the inside of your nostrils?

And Maryland wasn't all that bad. Why the hell someone would live up in North Dakota or Montana is just something I could never comprehend. Just not my cup of tea at all. When it gets hot, I have an excuse to run to the beach or jump into the pool. But when it gets bone chilling cold, I have an excuse to do.......... what?

No man, I'll take the heat and Florida with all it's warts any day of the week over what I used to live in.
Unread 06-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I'll swap .Working in Eastport ,Maine .Haven't seen sun for weeks .55 degrees drizzle and fog everyday .Mold is forming on my azz .Eastport is actually an island that is the most Northeastern city in the USA.

!0 day forecast is the same.My Orlando bags are packed.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, that's what a lot of people tend to do. I believe they are called "snowbirds"......
Other way around rich, if you escape during the summer to colder zone for us floridians I think that makes us sandbirds.
Unread 06-24-2009, 12:48 AM   #20
Rich Z

Maybe "sunbirds" would be more appropriate....