The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Events and Happenings

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Events and Happenings Shows | Cruises | Parties | Swap Meets

Unread 08-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #21
Straight_Axle

Name :
Straight_Axle has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
So explain this to me, please. What is so important about getting a trophy at a show? Does it increase the value of your car? Does it decrease the value if you DON'T get one? Does not getting a trophy make your car any less fun to drive? Does it make BEING at a show and meeting up with people seem like it was a waste of time for you?

Seriously, I would like to know....
I've been goin to car shows for around 5 years now, ever since we got our Vet. We have never won a trophy yet, except for the ones everybody gets at the Premium Productions shows. I keep going because I have made lots of friends at these shows, love seeing all the vetts and going to places we wouldnt have gon to otherwise. Pier show is the Cat's Ass of a show and I'm going back. They do a great job and I thank them for it, along with all the other clubs that go thru all that crap to allow other people to enjoy themselves. Probable won't win again, but who cares. It's FUN and a great show. And THAT is what it is all about.
Straight_Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #22
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So explain this to me, please. What is so important about getting a trophy at a show? Does it increase the value of your car? Does it decrease the value if you DON'T get one? Does not getting a trophy make your car any less fun to drive? Does it make BEING at a show and meeting up with people seem like it was a waste of time for you?

Just a competetive nature of Americans. Thats why team sports are increasing in popularuity every year. One example of the increase in TV revenue and viewership is the lock out the NFL just solved, and the NBA is currently in (and NHL had in 2004). The situation is simply a matter of the league earning more money and the players wanting their share as the chess pieces in the games.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #23
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I guess.

But then again, I never really got excited over spectator sports myself. At least not the commercial variety where the teams are owned by some corporation and they are merely employees doing a job.
Unread 08-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #24
TR6speed

Name :
TR6speed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah, I guess.

But then again, I never really got excited over spectator sports myself. At least not the commercial variety where the teams are owned by some corporation and they are merely employees doing a job.
Well said. I use to follow the NFL, MLB and NASCAR. I look at it a little differently than you and yes you are correct they are employed and doing a job, but I look at as they are playing a game (at least NFL & MLB). That in my opinion is the point to me is it is a game and I remember the NFL commissioner saying those exact words when they settled the lockout. He said now we can get back to playing the game.
As for NASCAR, I lost interest some time back when Helton took over and started changing the rules all the time and all the drivers are cookie cutter corporate images.
I guess we got off topic a little, Sorry.
TR6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #25
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm with you, Rich. Personally, I think shows would be better off without trophies. Yeah, yeah, I know, all the trophy hunters are aghast at what I just said. But you know who isn't aghast? All the folks who don't participate in shows because they don't want to be "judged", they just want to SHOW their cars.

When you decide there have to be winners, you also decide there have to be losers. Nobody wants to be a loser, so lots of folks don't play. And for what? All this angst and unpleasantness over some crappy trophy. Stop it.

My 2 cents.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #26
Straight_Axle

Name :
Straight_Axle has disabled reputation
Default Pier show

Friend of mine found out a week or so ago the pier show was sold out. to bad they cant have more cars, I'm sure if they had more room they could have had many more. Sure looks like it will be an awsome show if the rain holds off.
Straight_Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #27
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
I'm with you, Rich. Personally, I think shows would be better off without trophies. Yeah, yeah, I know, all the trophy hunters are aghast at what I just said. But you know who isn't aghast? All the folks who don't participate in shows because they don't want to be "judged", they just want to SHOW their cars.

When you decide there have to be winners, you also decide there have to be losers. Nobody wants to be a loser, so lots of folks don't play. And for what? All this angst and unpleasantness over some crappy trophy. Stop it.

My 2 cents.
I like this guy. You should post more often. Well said!!!!
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #28
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

I own one of about 500,000 C5's produced. It's a plane Jane vanilla coupe, and the only
thing "special" about it is THAT IT BELONGS TO ME! It will NEVER win a trophy at ANY show,
so my only reason for entering a show (besides giving everyone else a better chance to
win), is to secure a GREAT parking place. I'm right there in the action, I know that no one
will be bumping their doors into my Vette, and I don't have to walk very far to get to my
car when the show is over. I go to look at other Vettes, renew old acquaintances, and enjoy the fun
that getting together with other Vette owners brings. Pick up a t-shirt, enjoy some food, do a little
"B.S.ing", and I'm good for the day. Someone else can fight for the trophies!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #29
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
I own one of about 500,000 C5's produced. It's a plane Jane vanilla coupe, and the only
thing "special" about it is THAT IT BELONGS TO ME! It will NEVER win a trophy at ANY show,
so my only reason for entering a show (besides giving everyone else a better chance to
win), is to secure a GREAT parking place. I'm right there in the action, I know that no one
will be bumping their doors into my Vette, and I don't have to walk very far to get to my
car when the show is over. I go to look at other Vettes, renew old acquaintances, and enjoy the fun
that getting together with other Vette owners brings. Pick up a t-shirt, enjoy some food, do a little
"B.S.ing", and I'm good for the day. Someone else can fight for the trophies!
Andy
I dunno, maybe the competitive atmosphere set up by shows kind of detracts from the fun of it all. Some people take it personal when they don't win, and I'm sure there is a component of jealousy and resentment involved. I've actually seen people appearing VERY bitter at the end of a show because they didn't win any trophy there. Was the show very much fun for them?

I think people just need to loosen up a bit and focus on the FUN of these cars rather than concentrating on that one last tiny piece of lint inside their car that might cost them that trophy they want so badly.
Unread 09-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #30
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

i went to the show today and had a good time. i made the mistake of taking the boat instead of the z. the weather was on the rough side 4 ft in the bay at times. i was surprised to see no c6z's in the show. i am not a fan of judged shows. i felt like i was in the way of the judges while trying to enjoy the cars that were on display at times. there were some very nice neglected corvettes. (by neglected i mean never driven, very beautiful and almost perfect in every way but damn people they are made to drive! show them some love. i do have to say i was impressed by several of the cars there)there were some very nice modded cars and a few i thought were over done but done well. i was impressed with american hydrocarbon's work. after seeing some of what they offer i will be doing future business with them. its this kind of stuff that makes a show nice to me. it lets you see venders work and it gives you ideas for mods and detailing. i could care less about points and trophies. its about cars and people enjoying them. the judging to me, takes away from that. i will go next year and i will take my not so perfect lightly modded z to display for others to enjoy, not to be judged.