The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 09-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #51
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Well....... I did it. I just pulled the trigger on the STS twin turbo kit.

Now I just have to get it installed when it shows up.

I'll tell you though, you guys are absolutely no use whatsoever for talking a guy OUT of stuff like this.....
If you're anything like me, people talk to me 'til their blue in the face. I won't listen anyway! I tune 'em out.

Congrats!

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #52
FourG63 97GST

Name :
FourG63 97GST is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide King
Wow!!! check this out.... TTi
What a great price too

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1494762
wow, thats a nice kit. I think I should jump on this bandwagon as well. I'm still stock. longtubes seems to be 1/3-1/4 the price of a kit. so in the long run its not that bad of a deal. time to start saving and patiently want for another deal like that
Unread 09-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #53
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

The one thing that worries me about the underhood turbos is the amount of heat they are likely to add under the hood. That's the reason I got the headers Jet Hot coated, so they would help to keep the heat going out the pipes rather then under the hood. And yeah, those turbos WILL get hot. So anything near them will get hot as well. If they are near the starter, I would expect premature starter failures.

Just my opinion, for certain, but I just don't like anything that will ADD heat if I can avoid it.

There is some stuff on STS's website addressing this issue, which I found interesting. Taking it with a grain of salt, of course, because it IS sales literature, but it really does make some sense.

Another benefit of the rear mounted turbos is weight distribution. With the front mounts, ALL the weight goes on the front end. With the rear mounts, the turbos put about half the weight on the rear, and the intercooler puts some on the front. If you HAVE to add weight, I would prefer to not have it all put on the front end, like ALL the other blower options would do.

Not saying I made the right choice, but all things considered, this STS thingie looked to be about the best for me, all things considered.

BTW, take a look at this photo of an underhood turbo:
Attached Images

Unread 09-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #54
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Thats HOT!
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #55
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

Rich,

post some pics when you get a chance.
Suicide King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #56
FourG63 97GST

Name :
FourG63 97GST is on a distinguished road

The STS system works, but its not the most efficiant turbo setup IMO, simple logic wont let me buy into it. turbo's need heat, exhaust temp will cool alot by the time it gets back there, as they cool, they also slow down. STS knows this and "solves" the problem by reducing the a/r on the turbine housing. now limiting the power it can make. then its needs to make its way back to the front. ofcoarse they claim there's no lag in the system. coming from N/A to an STS setup, you wont be able to tell the lag, but from an front mounted setup to rear u'll hate it. There's alot against the system from an efficient standpoint.
Unread 09-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #57
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well that could very well be, but so far, the feedback I have gotten from people who actually HAVE the STS systems has been 100 percent positive. I have had several people comment negatively on the THEORY behind the system, but none of them actually have tried it themselves prior to forming their opinions. Sometimes the proof just has to be in the pudding, I guess.

And in my opinion, it is not HEAT that moves the turbine, it is AIR PRESSURE that moves it. 100 cubic feet per minute of cold air is the same as 100 cubic feet per minute of hot air. It is just that in all applications I can think of heat is used simply to CREATE the air pressure needed to move the turbine.

I posted a thread in this forum about turbochargers that I found on Wikipedia. Makes for interesting reading. Of course, nothing is perfect, and as I found out, every single one of the power adders I looked at had drawbacks and compromises to deal with. And in my unbiased and uneducated opinion, this was the best system for me, based on what compromises I was willing to live with.

Unread 09-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #58
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

I just wish I had anyone. (TT , supercharger, blower, or what every)

It is better to have any one of these systems then to not have one at all.

You’re going to be a very happy man.
Suicide King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #59
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Well that could very well be, but so far, the feedback I have gotten from people who actually HAVE the STS systems has been 100 percent positive. I have had several people comment negatively on the THEORY behind the system, but none of them actually have tried it themselves prior to forming their opinions. Sometimes the proof just has to be in the pudding, I guess.

And in my opinion, it is not HEAT that moves the turbine, it is AIR PRESSURE that moves it. 100 cubic feet per minute of cold air is the same as 100 cubic feet per minute of hot air. It is just that in all applications I can think of heat is used simply to CREATE the air pressure needed to move the turbine.

I posted a thread in this forum about turbochargers that I found on Wikipedia. Makes for interesting reading. Of course, nothing is perfect, and as I found out, every single one of the power adders I looked at had drawbacks and compromises to deal with. And in my unbiased and uneducated opinion, this was the best system for me, based on what compromises I was willing to live with.

i think you have made a great choice with the sts system. lots of people will tell you about theory that do not have this system but everyone that has it always says "what turbo lag". i like the way the heat is the rear and not under the hood. turbo lag might be a problem if you are driving a ricer with a 4 banger or even a v6 but with the torque we already have with the z i dont see the lag if there is any being much of a problem. if anything it would be an advantage i would think because it gives you a chance to get the rubber hooked up as power builds. i didnt realize you could retain your headers with this system, i thought it came with its own exhaust set up for some reason, but that makes it even better if you get to keep the lg's. i checked out this system a little while back and if i were doing one this would be it.
Unread 09-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #60
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide King
I just wish I had anyone. (TT , supercharger, blower, or what every)

It is better to have any one of these systems then to not have one at all.

You’re going to be a very happy man.
I'd take any of them too.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote