The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 12-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
C6 Corvette - SRQ

Name :
C6 Corvette - SRQ is on a distinguished road
Default Florida Vehicle Registration Fees?

I'm taking (NCM) delivery of my new Coupe next Friday. Bought it using GMID from a dealer in New Hampshire.

I know the sales tax will be almost $3,300.

But since I am keeping my current transportation (Hummer H2) as a beater --- I was wondering how much the State will charge me to register a "new and additional" vehicle.

I'm not complaining, just curious... I knew it wouldn't be free when I first decided to buy my C6.

Thanks for any info... The 20-day tag will expire on December 28th...
C6 Corvette - SRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

I registered my two Corvettes and my Envoy when I moved here three years ago and I still haven't recovered from the raping I took at the DMV. Too bad you couldn't register it in N.H for six months as there is NO SALES TAX in New Hampshire.

If your a resident here you should only have to pay for sales tax, title and plate fees.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default sorry no info.

[quote=
But since I am keeping my current transportation (Hummer H2) as a beater --.[/QUOTE]
Unread 12-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
C6 Corvette - SRQ

Name :
C6 Corvette - SRQ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
Too bad you couldn't register it in N.H for six months as there is NO SALES TAX in New Hampshire.
But would it be legal to register it in NH? Never been there but wouldn't mind flying up there if I could register it there for 6 months, legally. I'm a stickler about NOT cheating on taxes. Something about not wanting to ever experience what it's like to live in prison.

I'll ask my CPA. They'll know.

Thanks, Ed
C6 Corvette - SRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Actually not a half bad idea if it can be pulled off legally. I have a sister-in-law in Delaware where there are no sales taxes either.... I would trust her with the title.
Unread 12-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
srs244
78 pace car

Name :
srs244 has disabled reputation

to come into the state with existing vehicles (as in moving here, lol), there is no sales tax due since you already paid that when you bought the cars (or you didn't if you were lucky enough to live somewhere where there was no sales tax at the time). they do however really stick it to you with their "fee for registering a vehicle for the first time in our state" administration charges, LMAO!! keeping in mind that we do not have a state income tax here and that all the localized taxes go to make up for those tax revenues, the "jesse james without a gun" approach explains what appears to be high fees at pretty much every turn. a further example of that is the cost of gasoline in the state. before the most recent little increase in prices, the cheapest gas in my area was still north of $2.16/gallon regular. most of the folks i talk to in other parts of the country were paying well south of $2.00 at the time. the difference.........tax make up for the lack of a state income tax. if you look around, you will see that pretty much everywhere from cigarettes to alcohol, to just about everything else. unfortunately i have lived here a very long time and my frame of reference on other state motor vehicle fees is non-existant, so i guess i don't go into sticker shock each year when i renew my registrations, lol. i do remember however, feeling the same way when i registered my 78 pace car a few years ago when i got hit with the "out of state, one time admin fee" charges on top of sales tax on top of the licensing charges, so i understand your pain.

BTW the out of state registration would go south on you real quick from an insurance standpoint if you ever had a problem like an accident or a loss of some kind, with an out of state registration (by the way it is against the law in florida as you have 30 days to register a car in this state once you have moved here from out of state). all it would take would be an insurance adjustor's interview with a neighbor who says you've lived there for a while to have them deny the claim.

steve
srs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
Tampa Jerry

Name :
Tampa Jerry has disabled reputation
Default Tax

Bite the bullet. Pay the tax. I bought an NSX in NJ and shipped it to FL. The sales tax was steep to say the least. The dealer in NJ did not collect tax. Let's just say I got prison raped by the FL DMV. There is some wiggle room when purchasing older cars (C2/C3) from out of state. Who is to say what the price is on a "basket case" vette? Jerry
Tampa Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs244
to come into the state with existing vehicles (as in moving here, lol), there is no sales tax due since you already paid that when you bought the cars (or you didn't if you were lucky enough to live somewhere where there was no sales tax at the time).

This is not entirely true. I moved here from Mass three years ago where the sales tax rate is 5%. I had bought a new 2003 Envoy and after my trade and rebate I paid $26,000. I paid the state of Mass $1300.00 in sales tax. When I registered my three cars here I was told that because I owned the Envoy less than six months I would have to pay the state of Florida 2% sales tax on $26,000 because the rate here is 7% as opposed to Mass's 5%. That was $520.00 in tax to Florida. Then she told me that if I didn't produce my sales contract to prove that I only paid $26,000 they would charge me 2% of retail which was $43,000. I gave them my invoice and she made a copy. But wait, there not done screwing me yet. A month later they sent me a letter telling they reviewed my contract an I got a $6000 rebate from GMC. Well Mass charges you tax on what you pay not on rebates, however you guessed it Florida charges sales tax on rebates so I owed this state another $420.00 in tax. So to the state of Mass I originally paid $1300.00, and to this state I paid about $900.00. Talk about getting screwed without getting kissed. And to top it off when I paid the $420 fee at the DMV after I paid it the douchbag said I should have waited until I owned it for six months, then registered it and I wouldn't have to pay any additional tax.

SRQ....no it wouldn't be legal to register it in NH for six months unless you had an address there that you could use, like a relative or something. If you did register it there to beat the tax you would run into Florida residency problems like the homestead exemption. Also if you did get into a serious accident that would be a whole new can of worms.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
sglfladad

Name :
sglfladad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 Corvette - SRQ
I'm taking (NCM) delivery of my new Coupe next Friday. Bought it using GMID from a dealer in New Hampshire.

I know the sales tax will be almost $3,300.

But since I am keeping my current transportation (Hummer H2) as a beater --- I was wondering how much the State will charge me to register a "new and additional" vehicle.

I'm not complaining, just curious... I knew it wouldn't be free when I first decided to buy my C6.

Thanks for any info... The 20-day tag will expire on December 28th...
Did you take your 3,300 tax write off. Sales tax is now a write off.
sglfladad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #10
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I reg My Vett and others in NH .The only legal ways are to have a legal address and Drivers license .Second is to have a legal business address and a state bus. I.D number.Keep in mind insurance and reg will cost far less than most states.Plus you get that plate "live free or die " sort of gives ya that rebel feel.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote