The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 09-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
WOTJOHN

Name :
WOTJOHN has disabled reputation
Exclamation HARMONIC BALANCER

Today i found out that some C5 have problems with the Harmonic Balancer so I went out and started my car and look at the Harmonic balancer wile it was running the thing look like it was going to come apart . so mine is bad my car has only 39000 miles on it they say that it can come apart and damage the engine cover and oil pan so I will replace with a high performance underdrive balancer .just whanted to pass it on so that other pepole will know about this before they damge there car.
WOTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

What did you see? Wobble? Can't say I have ever looked at mine, but maybe it would be worth doing. Got something like 65K miles on my Z.....
Unread 09-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
WOTJOHN

Name :
Exclamation HARMONIC BALANCER

What I seen the harmonic balancer was wobbleing so bad it was making the belt jump .the first sign of problem is that the belt will start to whine .then the belt will start to jump out of the grove .I know a harmonic balancer will wobble some but not this bad.and I found out to today the high performance balancer is on 2 weeks back order

Last edited by WOTJOHN; 09-05-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Cajunmech

Name :
Cajunmech has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTJOHN
What I seen the harmonic balancer was wobbleing so bad it was making the belt jump .the first sign of problem is that the belt will start to whine .then the belt will start to jump out of the grove .I know a harmonic balancer will wobble some but not this bad.and I found out to today the high performance balancer is on 2 weeks back order
What I have found out is that it is not a harmonic balancer. It is just a pulley. The pulley acts as a dampner. It does this by virute of it's design. There are two sections which are held together by a rubber bushing. What happens is the rubber recieves quite a bit of demand from temperature and weather. It does not perform well at all. However it would need to wobble very badly to warrant replacement. It is very expensive and time consuming if you try to do it yourself. My car had a wobbler that was diagnosed as a bad vibration. So I replaced it and the vibration was still there.
Cajunmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
WOTJOHN

Name :
Default harmonic balancer

I replaced mine and no more woble and the belt the belt does not virbrate and it was not that expensive to replace unless you think $200 is alot .
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default DAYUM!!!

[quote=Rich Z,, Got something like 65K miles on my Z.....[/QUOTE]
You mean you're not the sort of Vette owner that has a Shrine, with candles and the like around your car for worshiping purposes???

WOTJOHN or Cajunmech...is there a particular year or is it any C5 that'll have this problem???

Thanks,

~Ray
Unread 12-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
Cajunmech

Name :
Cajunmech has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad
You mean you're not the sort of Vette owner that has a Shrine, with candles and the like around your car for worshiping purposes???

WOTJOHN or Cajunmech...is there a particular year or is it any C5 that'll have this problem???

Thanks,

~Ray
It seems that this can be a problem. But there is a slight wobble due to there being no keyway. The pulley is secured only by a bolt via a tapered fit. It has to wbble very badly to cause a problem.
Cajunmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #8
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunmech
It seems that this can be a problem. But there is a slight wobble due to there being no keyway. The pulley is secured only by a bolt via a tapered fit. It has to wbble very badly to cause a problem.
Thanks for the reply!