The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
kpaus

Name :
kpaus has disabled reputation
Default Steering

When I start the car the steering wheel will lock up and I get a message to service steering soon. This does not happen all the time and when it does I have to turn off the car and wait a few minutes and try again. I have a 99 and I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if there is a quick fix?
kpaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a column lock recall problem.

Now theres a couple of things I will mention here. First, if you have a custom tune done to your car when they reflash the PCM according to the bulletin, your custom tune will be gone. Second, there is a kit called a "Column Lock Bypass Kit" that a lot of people install that remedies the problem. I would call a dealer with your VIN handy and see if the bulletin was ever done. There are many pros and cons about doing the recall so you might want to do some research on the net before you have it done. Also you might want to check the condition of your battery, if it is weak or on it's way out it might cause this.

And lastly if your wheel locks and you can't unlock it try this;

To unlock the column do the following:

1. Grab wheel with right hand and pull the wheel to the right as hard as you can.
2. Reach over with your left hand and turn the ignition key.

This should unlock the column

MODELS:

1997-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION
1997-2000 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
2001-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION – EUROPEAN EXPORT
VEHICLES ONLY

DESCRIPTION:
PRODUCT SAFETY #04006C
DATED: FEBRUARY 8, 2006
IMPORTANT:

THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND REPLACES BULLETIN 04006B, ISSUED NOVEMBER 2004. THE SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR U.S. VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN REVISED. PLEASE REVIEW THIS NEW INFORMATION IMMEDIATELY.

ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 04006B SHOULD BE DESTROYED.

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 1997-2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. When you remove the ignition key, the electronic column lock (ECL) system prevents turning of the steering wheel. When the vehicle is started, it unlocks the steering. Two conditions can prevent steering while the vehicle is moving:

1. The vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when the vehicle is started, the fuel supply will be shut off if the driver tries to move the vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering is locked.
2. During quick cranks, the ECL lock pin may not withdraw fully and, in vehicles where there is abnormally low clearance to the lock plate, there may be contact between the pin and lock plate. This can cause a noise or ratcheting when the steering wheel is turned or, if there is insufficient clearance, the steering wheel cannot be turned.

If one of these conditions occurs, a crash could occur without warning.

CORRECTION:
Dealers are to remove the column lock plate on U.S. and Canadian vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission and U.S. vehicles equipped with a manual transmission. After the service correction, the steering column will no longer lock when the key is removed.

On Canadian and export vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, and export vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, Dealers are to 1) reprogram the PCM, and 2) verify there is adequate lock plate clearance and, if necessary, replace the lock plate. After the service correction, the steering column will continue to lock when the key is removed.

Refer to the Product Safety Bulletin #04006C for further information.

EFFECTIVE DATE:
Owner mailing is scheduled to begin February 15, 2006.

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO – Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO – Customer Special Order.

The Parts list follows:

Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
89023816 Harness Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk Shorting (US manuals and all automatics except export vehicles) 1
88952428 Wire Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk (1998-2000 Canadian and export manuals & export automatics) 1 (If Req'd)
26056108 Nut, Strg Whl 1 (If Req'd)
26094767 Plate, Strg Shf Lk (Canadian manuals) 1 (If Req'd)
88964588 Plate, Strg Shf Lk (Export vehicles) 1 (If Req'd)
05694191 Ring, Strg Shf Lk Plt Ret 1

More info

1998-2000 Corvette Recall - Corvette Electronic Column Lock

GM Service Operations DCS851
Urgent - Distribute Immediately

Date: September 6, 2001
Subject: 01044A - Customer Satisfaction Campaign Corvette Electronic Column Lock
Models: 1998-2000 Corvette

To: All Chevrolet Dealers

Attn: Service Managers, Parts Managers, and Warranty Administrators: This bulletin supercedes and replaces campaign bulletin 01044 issued July, 2001. The service procedures have been revised along with the schematic for all manual transmission vehicles and export only automatic transmission vehicles. The steering wheel nut part number has been added to the part information table and the part count in the claim table has been adjusted accordingly.

This campaign is in effect through July 01, 2003.

CONDITION

General Motors has decided that certain 1998-2000 Corvette model vehicles may exhibit a condition in which the electronic column lock may not function as intended. The condition could result in the failure of the steering column to unlock during initial key-in and start-up. Should the column fail to unlock, the engine will stop running if the vehicle starts to move.

CORRECTION

Dealers are to install repair kit PN 88952427 for automatic transmission Corvettes in the US & Canada or repair kit PN 88952428 for all manual transmission Corvettes in the US & Canada. For Corvettes sold in all other countries, both manual and automatic, dealers are to install repair kit PN 88952428.

VEHICLES INVOLVED

Involved are certain 1998-2000 Corvette model vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

YEAR DIVISION MODEL PLANT FROM THROUGH
1998 Chevrolet Corvette Bowling Green W5123355 thru
W5131069
1999 Chevrolet Corvette Bowling Green X5100001 thru
X5133283
2000 Chevrolet Corvette Bowling Green Y5100001 thru
Y5116233

IMPORTANT: Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) or GM Access Screen (Canada only) or DCS Screen 445 (IPC only) prior to beginning campaign repairs. [Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.]

Involved vehicles have been identified by Vehicle Identification Number. Computer listings containing the complete Vehicle Identification Number, customer name and address data have been prepared, and are being furnished to involved dealers with the campaign bulletin. The customer name and address data furnished will enable dealers to follow up with customers involved in this campaign. Any dealer not receiving a computer listing with the campaign bulletin has no involved vehicles currently assigned.

These dealer listings may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any other purpose is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this campaign.

MAILING INFORMATION
Dealer mailings will begin on September 6, 2001.

GMVIS INFORMATION
GMVIS information is currently available.

GM SERVICE OPERATIONS

Complete bulletin here at http://corvetteforum.net/c5/kenficht...olumn_lock.pdf
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

I had the message on the DIC all the time that said "Service Column Lock". It never actually locked up on me though. I ended just having AntiVenom install the Column Lock Bypass.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
kpaus

Name :

Thanks for your reply I am going to check the battery and call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
Unread 08-17-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaus
Thanks for your reply I am going to check the battery and call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
I forgot about the battery. Mine went 3 weeks after I installed the CLB.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
kpaus

Name :
Default Steering

Sorry it took so long to get back on here but I have been busy with other things lately. I took the battery and had it checked and they did say it was bad so I replaced it. I then installed it and still the wheel will not unlock!! I also called the dealer and they checked the VIN and yes the mod has been done. ??????????
Unread 09-01-2006, 07:10 AM   #7
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

To be honest with you I think the dealer doesn't know what they are talking about. The latest recall requires them to remove the lock plate from the column lock so the wheel will not lock. If your wheel is locked it sounds like the lock plate is still in your car, so therefore I would venture to say the latest recall hasn't been done to your car. Perhaps some steering wheel lock recall has been done, but not the latest, because obviously you are still having a problem. Here is a copy of some info I found.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 04V060000 www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Manufacturer GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Recall Date: 02/09/2004
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 126,624

Description STEERING:COLUMN LOCKING:ANTI-THEFT DEVICE
Summary ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRONIC COLUMN LOCK SYSTEMS (ECL), WHEN THE IGNITION SWITCH IS TURNED TO “LOCK,” THE ECL SYSTEM PREVENTS TURNING OF THE STEERING SYSTEM. WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED, THE ECL UNLOCKS THE STEERING SYSTEM. THE VEHICLE IS DESIGNED SO THAT IF THE COLUMN FAILS TO UNLOCK WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED AND THE CUSTOMER TRIES TO DRIVE, THE FUEL SUPPLY WILL BE SHUT OFF SO THAT THE VEHICLE CANNOT MOVE WHEN THE VEHICLE CANNOT BE STEERED. IF VOLTAGE AT THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE IS LOW OR INTERRUPTED, HOWEVER, THE FUEL SHUT OFF MAY NOT OCCUR AND THE VEHICLE CAN BE ACCELERATED WHILE THE STEERING SYSTEM IS LOCKED. ALSO WHEN THE CONTROL SYSTEM SHOWS THAT THE ECL IS UNLOCKED AND THE VEHICLE IS BEING DRIVEN, THE LOCK PIN LOCATION CAN VARY. DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION OF THE LOCK PLATE RELATIVE TO THE SWITCH TRANSITION POINT, THERE COULD THEN BE CONTACT BETWEEN THE LOCK PLATE AND PIN CAUSING THE STEERING TO LOCK WHILE DRIVING .

Consequence IF THIS OCCURS, A CRASH COULD OCCUR WITHOUT WARNING.

Remedy ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, THE DEALER WILL DISABLE THE STEERING COLUMN LOCK BY REMOVING THE COLUMN LOCK PLATE. WHEN THE IGNITION KEY IS REMOVED, THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER WILL LOCK BUT THE STEERING COLUMN WILL NOT LOCK. ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION, THE DEALER WILL REPROGRAM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE, PERFORM A DIMENSIONAL CHECK OF THE COLUMN LOCK AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE LOCK PLATE. THE STEERING COLUMN ON THESE VEHICLES WILL CONTINUE TO LOCK WHEN THE KEY IS REMOVED. OWNER NOTIFICATION TO OWNERS OF 1997 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS BEGAN ON APRIL 26, 2004. OWNERS OF 1998 THROUGH 2004 VEHICLES (EXCEPT 1997-1998 MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLES) WILL BE NOTIFIED BEGINNING ON AUGUST 2, 2004. THE REMAINING OWNERS (1997-1998 MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLES) WILL BE NOTIFIED LATER IN 2004, WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE.

OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.

Now as you can see there is a phone number to call Chevrolet, I would do just that. Tell them your wheel is locked, it has been locked, and you are afraid it will lock while you are driving and you are in fear that someone will be hurt or killed, and if someone is killed you will have to sue GM and put your name on all their company logos. Call them up, tell them you want your car towed in and fixed and you don't want to pay for any part of this repair. This is a SAFETY RECALL and they are obligated to fix it free of charge.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #8
kpaus

Name :
Default Finally Fixed

Well I finally got the steering fixed at Ferman Chevy in Tarpon Springs. They even did it free of charge sense it was a recall that was already done according to the VIN. I also ordered a new key and it is suppose to be in Thursday. Next on my list is a new set of rims!!! Thanks for every ones help