The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 03-09-2006, 02:38 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default 316.272 Exhaust systems, prevention of noise

316.272 Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(13) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 72-39; s. 1, ch. 73-89; s. 27, ch. 79-65; s. 135, ch. 94-356; s. 204, ch. 99-248.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road
There's a new revision to this one that specifies something to the effect of "louder than factory". I'll look it up and post it here.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Rich Z

How would they determine such a thing in practice? Is the burden of proof on law enforcement to do the measurements?

Along with those videos I took of the before and after exhaust systems on my Z, the program I used to clip out those sections shows a visual of the audio track frequency wave as well. If I think of it later on tonight, I'll post it for a comparison. From what I can recall there wasn't that much difference that I could see.
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
Z06 Rocket

Name :
I think it's meant for the obnoxious exhaust, ie: ricers with the fart can mufflers or the Harley's that can be heard a mile away when their getting on it. Those make it difficult to talk to someone when their driving next to you, and can even hurt your ears when your taking off from a red light next to them with your windows down.

I'm also looking for the statute to pass it on. I keep finding the same one you already quoted, but it's in the 2005 logs that I'm seeing it. I'll get back to ya.
Unread 04-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Rich Z

Actually I think the boom box cars are a whole lot more abusive to my ears then any exhaust will ever be. I've had my vehicle literally shaking because of some idiot next to me with the subwoofers cranked into overdrive. I can't imagine what it would be like to actually be IN that car. They had to have blood coming out of their ears and other orifices!

(yeah, I definitely need to load more smilies in this site.....)
Unread 04-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Actually I think the boom box cars are a whole lot more abusive to my ears then any exhaust will ever be. I've had my vehicle literally shaking because of some idiot next to me with the subwoofers cranked into overdrive. I can't imagine what it would be like to actually be IN that car. They had to have blood coming out of their ears and other orifices!

(yeah, I definitely need to load more smilies in this site.....)
Oh yea,,, that's a big problem here too. There is a new law that says the stereo cannot be plainly heard from 25 ft or more from the vehicle, (used to be 100 ft). That's a non-moving cite worth about $78.00 that some of the police around here like to write. I HATE to hear it inside my home where I have a reasonable expectation of peace and quiet.
Unread 12-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
mEICALNISSYEN

Name :
mEICALNISSYEN has disabled reputation
Default Exhaust Mods

Been reading this post with interest, I just got a loud muffler ticket and the circumstances did kinda suck
the LEO has hills county, and did state "I thought you'd be 17"
so a bit of profiling, I'm gonna be fifty in april !! I was driving fine as I usually do, but my car is a corolla with a body kit and incomplete paint, so i am leading with my chin, I understand that.
I get this citation on veterans day with my army PT jacket on the seat and I gave him my VA employee card ( I work in the ICU'S there. kinda suprised me he wrote it up

To the other LEO"s out there,
If I obtain a statement of "not that damn loud" from another officer, should I attempt to have this dismissed in court??

Thanks in Advance
mEICALNISSYEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
silverback

Name :
silverback has disabled reputation

Just think about coupling this law, with the new proposed pollution law, I see that the state is thinking about adopting the California emission rules. Will
this effect those of us who have aftermarket headers and exhaust systems.
Kind of makes my head spin.
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
Rich Z

I don't think there is really anywhere in Florida where there are issues with air polution like there is in California. There aren't any deep valleys where inversion layers can trap smog underneath. The state is just too flat for that to really ever be a problem. Not unless the Gulf of Mexico becomes polluted enough to affect the atmosphere, in which case we're all going to be in such deep doo-doo that worrying about our exhaust systems will be the last thing on our minds...
Unread 12-06-2008, 01:11 AM   #10
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I don't think there is really anywhere in Florida where there are issues with air polution like there is in California. There aren't any deep valleys where inversion layers can trap smog underneath. The state is just too flat for that to really ever be a problem. Not unless the Gulf of Mexico becomes polluted enough to affect the atmosphere, in which case we're all going to be in such deep doo-doo that worrying about our exhaust systems will be the last thing on our minds...
Unfortunately, none of that will or does matter

When the tree huggin', no nut sack politico's get it in thier heads that this is the way we need to be "lead" that's what will happen. If we want to stop it, I suggest people start NOW writing, calling ad e-mailing thier respective representatives with thier opposition. Give them facts not lip service.

Quote:
Just think about coupling this law, with the new proposed pollution law, I see that the state is thinking about adopting the California emission rules. Will
this effect those of us who have aftermarket headers and exhaust systems.
Kind of makes my head spin.
It depends on exactly what the state does?

If the state makes it retroactive, yes. There will likely be a cut off year as there was before, but you'll likely need a C4 or earlier to qualify.

Then again, the aftermarket has made inroads in Kalifornia with CARB approved performance equipment. You'll just have to make sure your headers and such meet "code."

What it will do, is give law enforcement another "tool" to misuse and abuse

I'm all for "tools" when they are used for good. Unfortunately, as we saw with the feds and thier warrantless eavesdropping and searches, abuses do happen.

Another reason for a warrantless "search" (aka: inspection)

Sorry guys, but BTDT and seen it happen. None of the guys and gals I know personally would do it, but I I've known a few over the years that have

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote