The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Board of Inquiry®

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Board of Inquiry® Got a problem with someone you had a dealing with? Can't get it resolved and no other recourse presents itself? Had an especially good transaction with someone? Looking for info on a dealer?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 10-03-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down VehicleOne (Universal Warranty Corp.) - Bad guys

Back at the end of September 2005 I was planning on a purchase of a used vehicle. As such, I felt it prudent to get some sort of extended warranty on that vehicle so I might be covered for any mechanical or electrical failure that might crop up later on. You never know when buying a used vehicle, so in case there was something wrong (yeah, the guy selling it said it was in "mint" condition"), I would be covered somewhat.

I had been corresponding with Alex Hue of Berger Chevrolet up in Grand Rapids, Michigan about this and Alex offered to get me the warranty at the best price possible. I thought that was right nice of him, and accepted his help.

Anyway, he had a policy drawn up for me through VehicleOne, which is administered by Universal Warranty Corporation in Omaha, NE. Coverage was for 48 months or 48,000 miles and was pretty typical of what I saw for extended warranties for vehicles outside of the factory warranty. They cover ONLY those items that are in a specific list of covered parts, and nothing else. Not exactly what I wanted, but at least it would cover the major stuff. In any event I had the contract signed sealed and delivered, dated 9/29/05 for my 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

Well, sometime during the last week of October, my passenger side window stopped working on the vette, so on November 3rd I took it to Champion Chevrolet in Tallahassee to have it looked at. I dropped it off while Connie (my wife) and I did some errands. I gave the service writer the extended warranty details at that time. When I got back late in the afternoon, presumably to pick up my supposedly fixed vehicle, the service writer (Chuck) told me that the claim for the window regulator motor had been denied when he called it in. I then proceeded to show him the warranty contract where it specifically states that the window motor IS covered under warranty. He then checked with the service tech to verify that the regulator and motor is one complete unit, so it's not like one part is covered and the other isn't. So Chuck called back VehicleOne back to discuss this problem. In that subsequent conversation, Chuck was told by whomever it was he spoke to that my policy had been canceled effective immediately. Lovely.............

When I got back home, I contacted Alex Hue about this, since I had gotten the policy through him, and after he had researched the problem, he was told that VehicleOne does not cover the Z06 model Corvette at all. Even though it was plainly spelled out on the contact exactly what vehicle the policy was for and had evidently been seen by several representatives of that company, it wasn't until I needed to file a claim that they decided to cancel the policy out of hand. Now if this had been a MAJOR failure in that vehicle, I would have been royally screwed over by what they had pulled on me. I can't help but wonder if I had NEVER filed a claim if they then would have just happily kept my money for that policy.

And as a matter of fact, except for that second hand information from the Champion Chevrolet service writer via the phone call, I still to this day have not received anything official from that company telling me that the policy has been cancelled. From my perspective, it does appear that VehicleOne will drop a warranty policy such as the one I had at the drop of a hat, with no warning, and regardless of the fact that a signed contract is in effect at the time. Yeah, I suppose I could initiate legal proceedings against them, but what would be the point? I think that every subsequent claim I would file with them would be a major hassle to collect on. One of the reasons someone will get an extended warranty like this is to AVOID the hassles of repairs in a vehicle.

In my opinion, if you are looking for an extended warranty for your vehicle, give a wide berth around VehicleOne and the Universal Warranty Corporation while on your search. Who knows when they may decide to cancel YOUR policy on you?