The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 04-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default The mosquitoes are back!

Guess that heavy rain we had a little while back has gotten them all stirred up. I've got three mosquito magnets running now, and had to replace the capture bag in one of them this morning because it is FULL of mosquitoes. And that was quite a challenge with the trap just covered with mosquitoes looking for a free meal. But I had to change it, otherwise it's just not capturing the mosquitoes at all, being all choked up with the dead ones. The way I figure it, every dead one in that bag is one less that will be biting Connie or myself.

Those traps have killed a LOT of mosquitoes over the years we've been using them, so the number of mosquitoes that must be out there is absolutely mind boggling. One time several years ago that comes to mind I had a five gallon bucket three quarters FILLED with dead mosquitoes from the traps I had running. That is unreal!

Well, there goes our walks through our woods for a while. And not too much fun working in the yard when you have to flap your arms like a wild man to try to keep the skeeters at bay.

It was real nice without the blood suckers being around for a while. Hopefully this wave of them won't last too long.
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Maybe it's just the new batch that just hatched and they'll be gone in a while? It's really hard to say with them. We don't have much of an issue with them here but then, there's not a lot of standing water near my place either.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, the mosquito magnets are certainly doing a number on them. I've had to empty a couple of the traps already, and there are a bunch of skeeters flying around them waiting to get in too.

I actually bought a fourth unit and set it up just barely a week ago, and that trap was already filled today.

Still a bunch of skeeters out there, but at least it's not as bad as it could be without the traps sucking them down.

I wonder how many ZILLIONS of skeeters we have caught and killed in those traps over the years?