The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Board of Inquiry®

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Board of Inquiry® Got a problem with someone you had a dealing with? Can't get it resolved and no other recourse presents itself? Had an especially good transaction with someone? Looking for info on a dealer?

Unread 02-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
Vettever

Name :
Vettever has disabled reputation
Default Scam!

My neighbor was just scamed out of $2400. on an on line Corvette deal. We realize this certainly falls into the "to good to be true" thing, now that is. I found it on Auto Trader, 2000 coupe, 42000 miles, $7200. and located right here in Key West! I called and the number, not in service. My neighbor e mailed and the party e mailed back he was in Scotland' bought the car to ship there but wasn't able to import into Scotland and just wanted to get out from under it. The car was actually in Texas as he went there from Key West. It was being sold by a bonding co. in England. He e mailed the bonding co. they said wire 1/3 the $7200. and they would deliver it her in 3 days, if he was happy with it pay the balance or they would refund the deposit and take it back. He checked with Texas MV, clean title registered to the man in Scotland, he checked out the bonding co. and they were legit, he even car-faxed it. (He is a NY Cop, retired) The car never came, another exchange of e mails and now they wanted all the money and he now smells a fish.The bonding co. was somehow cloned and the clone was not for real. We know we were stupid but it really all checked out and sounded like the deal of a lifetime. Live and learn! by the way, anybody want to buy a "Seven Mile Bridge"!
Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettever View Post
My neighbor was just scamed out of $2400. on an on line Corvette deal. We realize this certainly falls into the "to good to be true" thing, now that is. I found it on Auto Trader, 2000 coupe, 42000 miles, $7200. and located right here in Key West! I called and the number, not in service. My neighbor e mailed and the party e mailed back he was in Scotland' bought the car to ship there but wasn't able to import into Scotland and just wanted to get out from under it. The car was actually in Texas as he went there from Key West. It was being sold by a bonding co. in England. He e mailed the bonding co. they said wire 1/3 the $7200. and they would deliver it her in 3 days, if he was happy with it pay the balance or they would refund the deposit and take it back. He checked with Texas MV, clean title registered to the man in Scotland, he checked out the bonding co. and they were legit, he even car-faxed it. (He is a NY Cop, retired) The car never came, another exchange of e mails and now they wanted all the money and he now smells a fish.The bonding co. was somehow cloned and the clone was not for real. We know we were stupid but it really all checked out and sounded like the deal of a lifetime. Live and learn! by the way, anybody want to buy a "Seven Mile Bridge"!
Oh Yeah,This happens allot!!!More than you can even Imagen,there has been several people around here scammed on deals like this!! If it's to good to be true,DON'T DO It!!!!
Unread 02-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
fletcher4u

Name : Bob Fletcher
fletcher4u has disabled reputation

A frand of mine got it for $10.000 for a 69 camaro SS . The same type of deal.
fletcher4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, lots of scams going on. And unfortunately, the dollar value is so low that you can't get law enforcement interested in doing anything about it. Especially if there are so many false names and companies being used with the real source possibly being overseas. South Africa is a real hotbed of this sort of activity. One thing they do quite commonly is set up a scam where they want to pay for something with a cashier's check or money order that is much more than the price of the item, and have you send the balance to a third party to pay off some other debt the buyer has. Of course, the funds are all counterfeit, so when you send off your real money, you get royally shafted all the way around. I've had someone send me a counterfeit postal money order once for a camera I was selling. Luckily it didn't look right to me, so I took it directly to the postal authorities. Never heard a word about it afterwards, though.

BE suspicious of people! Most people online with merchandise sight unseen trying to stick their hand in your wallet just cannot be trusted. They will act like your very best friend up till that very instant when they finally have your money. Then *POOF*! All you have left is a bad memory that will eat at you for a LONG time.
Unread 02-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

That just plain sucks.
Oh,how much is the bridge.I've been over it a lot but never deamed I could buy it.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

I was selling a motorcycle a few years back and a guy tried to pull that scam on me. I was on to his scheme and played along. I now have a check(fake) for $13,500 hanging on the wall in my office. I even went to my bank and told them what I was doing and they were not interested. Hmmm?
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
gunnerrun

Name :
gunnerrun has disabled reputation
Default Cashier's Check

An attorney friend once took a Cashier's Check on an "Orlando Bank" on a VW he had for sale. The purchase was on a Sat. Monday morning he tried to call the bank. It didn't exist. That little bit of education cost him $2600 back when that was a significant amount of money. Live and Learn.
gunnerrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Scammers suck! But they're out there

The Feds might be more interested than local authorities forr several reasons:

1) the "crime" spans jurisdictional and geographic boundries of several countries.
2) It is Internet connected.
3) Finally, a lot of these kind of scams can or are used to fund terrorist activities. With every agency in the world using "homeland security" as an excuse for delving into our private lives, I would think they would use the same pretext to track the $$$

I have a couple frineds with the feds that do just that
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett boy View Post
That just plain sucks.
Oh,how much is the bridge.I've been over it a lot but never deamed I could buy it.
I already own it and it's not for sale. The toll booths go up soon...
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

It's so sad that people will do this sort of thing to others!

I take solace in believing that... What goes around comes around.