The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
jcb_njb

Name : Jim Brackett
jcb_njb is on a distinguished road
Default C5 MASK

I have searched the world over, well at least this forum, and I need to get some advise as to whether I should get a mask for my C5. Any of you use a mask and what are the good things and bad things about it? Oh, and the manufacture.
jcb_njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

I did not have a mask for my C5 but did buy one for my C6.
Bought it from www.c5creations.com
I like it very much. Keeps the front end clean and avoids chips when traveling on the highway. I don't put it on when traveling in town. Easy on and off.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

The one concern I would have about it is the mask itself causing damage. Anything between the mask and the finish of the car would wind up creating an abrasion on the finish. Driving would create a vibration that would possibly make the mask act like sandpaper if dust and dirt gets underneath it.

I understand what they are for, but for some reason I just never cared for the look of them on a car.

IMHO.......
Unread 05-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

I had a ford Ranger that I had a mask/bra on. I bought a name brand and at first it was nice, but you have to take it off when it gets wet. Sometimes some trash would get on the back and you have to be sure its clean so your finish doesn't get damaged. When I got my C5 I did some reading and looking around. I ended up getting a clear bra installed. So far it's working great and it's no bother. With Love Bug season coming, the real test will take place. I was told by the installer that as long as the polish, supplied with the bra, the bugs will wash right off. Here's the place I got mine http://www.autopaintguard.com/
Ryan is a site sponsor and makes house calls, not sure of the distance.
Rick
C5Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Definitely get the Clear Bra By 3M and Ryan Is the best. I totally agree with C5Rick. Mark
PS: I had the lower bumper, headlights, upper hood half way up, side mirrors, and rocket panels done on mine. I also left the snaps in place for the previous C5 Creation bra I had when I drove back from the museum delivery. I will put my C5 Bra on when the love bugs come out. Then all you have to do is unsnap it and toss it into the washing machine and it will also cut down on time cleaning the love bug juice off the hood.
Just my .02 worth.
Feel free to use my name if you talk to Ryan. He is very thorough and worth every penny. Scroll down to the bottom of home page and look for Auto Paint Guard and then contact him.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Rich Z

Yeah, that Clear Bra does look like it would be a pretty nice product, but when I went to their website to try to find an installer nearby, here's what I got:
Quote:
No dealers could be located within 120 miles of the postal code you have entered.
Unread 05-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

I have the mask from C5 Creations. Worked well on my way to Kentucky. I had a problem of a few snaps coming off. I sent it back and they waranteed the work. Sent back and have had no problems since then.

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Yeah, that Clear Bra does look like it would be a pretty nice product, but when I went to their website to try to find an installer nearby, here's what I got:

If a person has some time and patience you can buy the kit and do our own install. There where two places in Bradenton that installs clear bras and they are not listed there. Ryan beat thier price by 30% and they wanted the car for a day and it only took Ryan 3 hours max. My C5 is Pewter and the edge lines are barely visible.
Rick
C5Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Rick
If a person has some time and patience you can buy the kit and do our own install. There where two places in Bradenton that installs clear bras and they are not listed there. Ryan beat thier price by 30% and they wanted the car for a day and it only took Ryan 3 hours max. My C5 is Pewter and the edge lines are barely visible.
Rick
Ah, alas, time and patience are commodities that are in real short supply with me lately.

I wouldn't mind getting the C6 done, but the C5Z is a lost cause at this late date. Maybe after I get it repainted, however.....