The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 04-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC5 View Post
Oh Great! One more site I don't have enough time for! I'm starting to sound like Rich!

Thanks for the tip! I really will have to check it out!

T
I hear ya! I spend most of my time right here among my friends. I go over to the other sites for international info and events and to talk with some of the old timers who made the old forum what it is...or was

You and your group do good work Tom and if you're trying to amass a group for a fundraising event, then spread the word anywhere, anyway you can...it's certainly welcomed here
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
MMC5

Name :
MMC5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curacao View Post
Trickflow = Rick = C5Rick
You don't say!

Shows you how much I go to Corvette Forum! I thought the CA logo showing on the side of the tread, indicated the moderator not the poster. UH

Well, THAT'S interesting..... They locked my thread too and it had no other links! Go Figure!

TM

MMC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I feel your pain Rick, but it's thier sandbox.

Can't link to other sites, e-bay, blah blah blah, even though the events may be for a good cause; however, you can go to the bottom of the page and hit Dial-A-Whore all day long

Go figure?

Good luck with it bro...
Those are the rules there....as for the ads anyone with a clue is running IE7Pro which turns them off....but most folks would rather bitch than use a 2 second free to download plug in for IE...and supposedly Firefox comes with the software needed
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Although I disagree with that concept, other than for supporting that type of behavior, I can't really blame the moderators and administrators.
They are simply doing the bidding of the site ownership.

Where we're pretty laid back, others aren't so. Just have to learn to deal with it or leave
pretty much...its been that way since Troy Roberts owned the site Nothing changed in the user agreement when IB bought the site...anyone who thinks otherwise didn't do their reading...in fact it still says Troy Roberts...IB hasn't changed it
Unread 04-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #15
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :

at any rate..love it or hate it....if you wanna get in on a good Corvette Forum cause....I posted in this thread http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...ad.php?t=15037

about the efforts to get this great American a brick / bench at the NCM....no need to belong to a any forum to do this

Last edited by pewter99; 04-15-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Unread 04-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #16
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
Those are the rules there....as for the ads anyone with a clue is running IE7Pro which turns them off....but most folks would rather bitch than use a 2 second free to download plug in for IE...and supposedly Firefox comes with the software needed
Amazing...You really need to read the entire thread.

Here are some highlights:

Quote:
Those are the rules there....
Yes, they are and as previously stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Although I disagree with that concept, other than for supporting that type of behavior, I can't really blame the moderators and administrators.
They are simply doing the bidding of the site ownership
and in another post near the top of the thread: ..."it's thier sandbox"

Quote:
as for the ads anyone with a clue is running IE7Pro which turns them off
- So, please let me get this straight. In your opinion, we're "clueless?" if we're not usuing IE7Pro?

Quote:
but most folks would rather bitch than use a 2 second free to download plug in for IE...and supposedly Firefox comes with the software needed
But since not everyone uses firefox, why be subjected to it? Why have to download a program to eliminate them?

Why not just not have them in the first place?

BTW, here's the answer:$$$$ Cha ching!

And there's nothing wrong with that. It's a business, plain and simple and business thrives on $$$

But the previous ownership was "picky" shall we say. For whatever reasons, and there were many stated throughout the years, he chose not to allow certain links, sponsors, advertisers, avatars, pictures and content, to be aired on the site. The site grew just fine.

Without the financial backing of the Supporting Members, the sponsors and advertisers, the other place my have never had the opportunity to grow like it did

But thanks to those willing to give, the financial support of the sponsors, along with a lot of the original site founders own $$$, they had the tools they needed to grow and eventually become what they were, ultimately allowing Troy to sell if for the amount he did

And if you might recall, we never had and apparrently never needed, dating sites, e-bay or pop up ads to make that happen. As a matter of fact, they were prohibited by the owners TOS

Different owners, different rules.

Even though it's been restated many times there that "nothing has changed", the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

As far as to say, even seen avatars that would never have been allowed in the past.

Change...Good or bad?

To quote Buffett...I don't know and I don't care

But you can't realistically deny that things have changed.

It's up to management as to how things change and why. Your job there as mine is here, is to asssist in fulfilling the TOS/policies of the site ownership.

Fortunately, this one happens to be a bit more relaxed that others. If it were otherwise, I'd have the decision to make. Stay as a mod or go. It's up to the individual as to what they support. I happen to like the way we do things here.

However, if people do not agree with it or the way it's "managed" then, as you've said yourself over there, (pp) "don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out" , they are certainly free to look elsewhere.

As I stated, change is inevitable, it's sometimes good and sometimes not so.

It's up to the user to decide

Have great day...it's beautiful out there, the cars clean (well, for my car anyway) and has a full tank of fuel....I'm stuck here nursing the flu!
Unread 04-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #17
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
pretty much...its been that way since Troy Roberts owned the site Nothing changed in the user agreement when IB bought the site...anyone who thinks otherwise didn't do their reading...in fact it still says Troy Roberts...IB hasn't changed it

You are correct sir.
Although the TOS havn't changed in writing, the site has changed. And people have made note.

Some of the things we never had before:
E-bay ads, pop ups, dating sites, ads in direct conflict with paid sponsors.
You couldn't for the most part, even offer information that potentially competed with a site sponsor without getting it locked or deleted. Want to offer a product or service to the vette ownership to help out? Become a paying sponsor. Thats the way it used to be.

It's still a good site with a lot of good folks
Unread 04-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #18
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
at any rate..love it or hate it....if you wanna get in on a good Corvette Forum cause....I posted in this thread http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...ad.php?t=15037

about the efforts to get this great American a brick / bench at the NCM....no need to belong to a any forum to do this
Thats an excellent cause!!!

I'll call, thanks for letting us know about the efforts

Unread 04-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

I couldn't believe it when Tom told mew the post he made at CF was edited and locked out by none other the pewter99.
I'm a little slow and find it hard to fully understand the full context of all the rules and sub rules pertaining to this and that at CF so could pewter99 explain what rule was broken by MMC5. You posted a link to my locked thread which was in violation of a link to another site. I didn't know Corvettes Anonymous is a threat to CF and therefore a link is not allowed. In MMC5's post there was no links provided and the only thing that was mentioned was a charity and how to contribute food during a fund raiser. So why was it locked and why the reference /link to my locked post. Again, while I may have violated a rule and it was unintentionally, what was the fragrant violation of MMC5's post. I don't think Corvettes Anonymous is planning on taking over CF or anybody else, just help a few who need it.
Anything that I post in this thread is my personal thoughts and not that of Corvettes Anonymous or any members of this association.
Unread 04-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #20
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Fellas, although I like to give everyone as much freedom as they can handle here, do you really think the policies of another site are appropriate on THIS site? I know early on I made my own comments, but after some reflection, I decided that it just really is none of my business how another site runs itself.

And I would like you all to reflect on that as well.

Nothing that is said here will really affect how CorvetteForum is run, and that is as it should be. If you have issues with them, then the place to address those issues is OVER THERE, not elsewhere. If they won't allow you to address the issues, then you simply have to consider your position and whether that issue is worth making it the reason you leave there or just suck it up and accept that that is the way you have to play the game in their ball field. There really is no other option.

I am not locking this thread, and no, I am not telling you that you cannot discuss such things here. All I am asking is that you consider what results, if any, that might result from such a discussion on THIS site. It is really much better if ALL the Corvette related sites played nice together and accepted the fact that people CAN and WILL go to whatever sites they want to by simply the click of a mouse button. No site, nor site owner, can prevent that from happening. But in the attempt, it will be the MEMBERS of those sites that will get hurt and lose out on the freely given exchange of information that is what the internet is really all about. I would prefer that we not contribute to the building of fences that will only really hurt us all in the long run.