The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 12-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #21
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet
They don't "decide". There's an algorithm running on the site software that ages threads automatically. Usually they work by age of newest post in the thread. If you go to the bottom-right of any of the post list pages you'll see the links for page "1 2 3 Last". Click Last and you will see the oldest posts that are still open. Right now in C5 General it's running at 9-17, so I assume they have it set to three months. Surely a thread that has not had any new posts in the last three months is ready for the archives?
I figured that was the case when I saw all the archived threads locked. It's looks about 3 months.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #22
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet
Really, I wish you guys would STOP with the Corvette Forum bashing. Yes, you have "free speech", within whatever boundaries this site's owner sets. Yes, I even agree with just about all of the complaints and sentiments expressed, and even have another set of my own. That's not the point. It is tacky, at best, to bitch about one online forum on another online forum. Don't like the place, don't go there. Disagree with the way it's run, complain to the site owners or mods. Don't bash them here. It's like talking behind someone's back.

You wonder why some forums are sensitive about links from other forums? Well, this sort of thing is one of the reasons why.

Just my opinion.
Actually I agree with you, and I can see where what I wrote could be construed as "bashing". I was honestly shocked that the thread I had been reading was locked and could not fathom why that is so. My first thought was that perhaps it violated something along the lines of talking about products from non supporting vendors or something.

I'm sure other forums have good reasons about how they do things there, but that doesn't mean I will intuitively understand them. My agreeing or disagreeing is obviously irrelevant to them. But logically, say in the instance of my search for a car cover, if I were looking for info on one, I would naturally go a keyword search to find relevant threads. Upon finding one, there is the distinct possibility I may want to post a reply to the thread and perhaps continue that discussion. Even if the thread is 5 years old, I can't see why such a thing would be disallowed. I've been working with vBulletin for a long time, and as far as I can recall, the "archive" is simply a trimmed down copy of the current forums in plain HTML format to make it easier for search engine spiders to index those posts. In all cases I have seen, the search engine links will reference a URL that actually has "archive" within that link. (i.e. http://www.crayfishmates.com/forum/archive/index.php)

So I guess I am just confused. That thead I was viewing did NOT look like a normal archive thread and my presumption was that it was an active thread that had been locked because of some perceived violation.

But yeah, you are right, it's really none of my business. And as such, and with agreement with your statements, I will keep such thoughts to myself rather than have the appearance of "bashing" another website.

Thanks for slapping me around to point this out to me. Sometimes I need that done.......
Unread 12-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #23
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
...Thanks for slapping me around to point this out to me. Sometimes I need that done....... :hehehe:

Oh hell no!! He didn't say that did he?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #24
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
I'm sorry Gannet if you thought I was bashing the other forum. There's no reason to do so. The 2 are totally different client bases with some overlap (for FLorida owners) and can and do quite cohesively co-exsist with each other

I was simply venting among friends over a wrong I felt had occurred and unfortunately, didn't feel that I couldn't vent there or to the party involved.

If I offended you, you have my apologies. And you opinion is ALWAYS welcomed
Oh, don't take me too seriously; I wasn't offended. And thanks for the apology, even though unneeded. It shows class. It was just that there had been several threads of similar tone (at least to me) lately and I just wanted to suggest that it shouldn't become a trend. It felt sort of like when you have two friends fighting or picking on each other.

Thanks to all for the gracious replies to my post.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote