• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Dead battery in my 82. Need help!

vettejack

I have a 1982 Corvette Collectors Edition. First the alternator was replaced...then the battery. The battery showed that it was charging while driving. After a day or two while parked, the brand new battery is completely drained of any charge. I'm having to remove it from the car to try and get a charge back on it, but now the car is on its 3rd battery after being sucked dry of its power each and every replacement. :willy: :toetap: :mad:

Need some good professional opinions/advice/servicing/expertise on what is going on with my electrics on this car! And then how to fix it so I can get this beauty back on the road with the rest of the Corvette Nation!:confused: :nonod: :banghead:

Here is another thought...not that I get very many.. but you seem to have a constant drain on your battery, if the alternator is charging now, it won't be for long. Not only is it charging to supply current to the battery and electrical system of the car, it is also charging to overcome the "short" somewhere in the electrical system that is causing the drain on the battery.

You might try looking at the primary system,(starter,solenoid,etc), and old starter or bendix or solenoid can still work but have a "short" that allows voltage to flow to ground. Be sure to check ALL your courtesy lights, one left on can run a battery down after a couple of days.

You might want to head to some place like PepBoys or Advance to have your system checked for free, have them check for a current flow with everything OFF.

Thats about all the thinkin' I can do for a while.

Joe B.

Thanks Joe (et al others)!:yesnod:

I've posted the same question on the National Vette Forum and I'm getting tons of advice and suggestions. Only with this car can you find such help from the nicest car owners out there!

I think I may have found the issue and that is one of the wire leads (positive) coming off the alternator has simply rotted (corrosion) away from the threaded stud. :thumbsdown: I ran out of daylight before I could get the fan belt back on. I'm still taking the CE into the dealership to have a full dioagnostic performed to see if I've chuncked :hehehe: any ECM codes/modules. ;)

Back