• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Gun ??

donzee

:confused: I,m going to Texas for a few days and want to mail or UPS a new pistol.
(from my home to brothers home)
I cant find anything on their web sites and my postman had no answers.
Anyboby ever do this, or know if it is a problem??
Thanks for any help. don

I think your all set to UPS as long as you declare it and of coarse unloaded :D I shipped a hand gun about five years ago without a problem .A quick call to UPS should confirm this.

I believe that an FFL holder has to be on at least one end of the shipping. In other words, a non-FFL holder can ship to a FFL holder, and a FFL holder can ship to a non-FFL holder. But a non-FFL holder cannot ship to another non-FFL holder.

You can run afoul of federal law as well as state law, and it is against UPS policy to boot.

Also of note is that even if the above requirement for a FFL holder is met, the gun must be shipped via Overnight Express service.

This link may help somewhat -> http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118

I believe that an FFL holder has to be on at least one end of the shipping. In other words, a non-FFL holder can ship to a FFL holder, and a FFL holder can ship to a non-FFL holder. But a non-FFL holder cannot ship to another non-FFL holder.

You can run afoul of federal law as well as state law, and it is against UPS policy to boot.

Also of note is that even if the above requirement for a FFL holder is met, the gun must be shipped via Overnight Express service.

This link may help somewhat -> http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118

I always thought a FFL was required on both ends. :shrug01: I do know guys that ship in metal boxes. I don't think I would.

I always thought a FFL was required on both ends. :shrug01: I do know guys that ship in metal boxes. I don't think I would.

No, not always. I guess a clarification is in order concerning my statement. A FFL holder can ship to a non-FFL holder only in the case of returning a repaired gun that was shipped to it for repair, and cannot ship directly to a non-FFL in the case of a sale of a firearm. For instance, if you ship your rifle to Remington to be repaired, you can do that directly and Remington can ship your rifle back to you directly after the repairs are made.

There are some FFL holders that require a gun to be shipped to THEM only via a FFL on the shipping end, but this is their own policy, and does not reflect law. I ran into a few of them when I was selling off much of my own gun collection a little while back.

Interestingly enough, federal law allows you to ship a firearm directly to anyone within your own home state without going through a FFL, however, no common carriers permit it via their policies. There may also be state and local laws to contend with in such a case as well, but federal law has no jurisdiction in such a case of an intrastate transfer of a firearm. Which, of course, makes me wonder how they have any jurisdiction in requiring local FFLs to file paperwork in local sales and transfers.... :shrug01:

No, not always. I guess a clarification is in order concerning my statement. A FFL holder can ship to a non-FFL holder only in the case of returning a repaired gun that was shipped to it for repair, and cannot ship directly to a non-FFL in the case of a sale of a firearm. For instance, if you ship your rifle to Remington to be repaired, you can do that directly and Remington can ship your rifle back to you directly after the repairs are made.

There are some FFL holders that require a gun to be shipped to THEM only via a FFL on the shipping end, but this is their own policy, and does not reflect law. I ran into a few of them when I was selling off much of my own gun collection a little while back.

Interestingly enough, federal law allows you to ship a firearm directly to anyone within your own home state without going through a FFL, however, no common carriers permit it via their policies. There may also be state and local laws to contend with in such a case as well, but federal law has no jurisdiction in such a case of an intrastate transfer of a firearm. Which, of course, makes me wonder how they have any jurisdiction in requiring local FFLs to file paperwork in local sales and transfers.... :shrug01:

Thanks Rich, interesting stuff and you've obviously done your homework. I appreciate the info.

I would be a smartass and completely disassemble it, then ship it in pieces. But the question always arises, are you sure you want some sort of post office handling your firearm? Specially when its marked in their system what it is...

I would be a smartass and completely disassemble it, then ship it in pieces. But the question always arises, are you sure you want some sort of post office handling your firearm? Specially when its marked in their system what it is...

If you ship the serialized frame of a gun via USPS, you will be violating postal regulations unless you are a FFL.

No matter what carrier you use, if you violate their policies or regulations, and the package gets lost, you are screwed. One question they will DEFINITELY ask you is "What was in the box, sir?".

If you are shipping firearms, I suggest doing it by the book.

If you ship the serialized frame of a gun via USPS, you will be violating postal regulations unless you are a FFL.

No matter what carrier you use, if you violate their policies or regulations, and the package gets lost, you are screwed. One question they will DEFINITELY ask you is "What was in the box, sir?".

If you are shipping firearms, I suggest doing it by the book.

Theres always FedEx and UPS. The last thing I shipped through USPS was a box of loose ammo (1500rds)..all big ziploc bags...never once did they open to check it when I told them what it was and could be harmful if banged around too much.

:thumbsdown: Update:: It turned out to be a big hassle, so gun is staying home.
I was going to try UPS , but with the way my luck is , I'd get busted, and loose the gun.
Thanks for the suggestions and help.

don

Don, it's not a hassle. If you don't have a CWP a lot of states have friendly travel laws. Just put it in the glove box but check state laws you will be traveling through. If you're flying just put it in a lock box unloaded and declare it. If neither apply put it in your trunk.

It is no big deal to travel with a gun. You just have to be aware of state laws and try to be legal. I carry 24/7 and have never been challenged by law enforcement. It's your right. PM me if you wish. DO NOT LEAVE THE GUN AT HOME BECAUSE YOU THINK IT'S A HASSLE.

Bob

Back