• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Clutch install labor cost, wtf?!?!?

Gannet

Help me understand this. My clutch is on its way out, so I'm trying to see what a new one is going to cost. I usually price parts and labor separately because I don't know which parts I want to use yet.

So I call around to my usual shops and I'm in shock. Ok, I realize it's a big job, you have to basically drop the entire driveline other than the engine. I've gotten quotes of $525, $600, $1200, and , wait for it, FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS. Just labor. I asked the last guy twice to make sure, yup $1500 labor.

Help me understand this. Searching the Big Forum seems to have this at a 4-5 hour job, and the two lower quotes would reasonably fit with that. Although it's a lot of work, it doesn't seem like a high-tech job, just turning wrenches and replacing parts.

What am I missing? Is it really a 15-hour job? Do some folks just not want to do this? What?

Any suggestions on good places to have this done? I don't mind paying for quality work, but a 3-1 spread between well-regarded shops strikes me as extreme.

The last time I talked to the vette tech at one of the local dealerships about a clutch replacement, he said to figure on $1200 to $1500, parts and labor for the job. That's using a stock GM clutch and flywheel, etc....

An average labor cost to replace the clutch is around $600. Stay away from the $1200 - $1500 rip off price. You should be able to buy direct from your local GM dealer the clutch package that includes: flywheel, pressure plate, disc & slave cylinder/throwout bearing for about $400. I think the part number is #12570806 list is $710, but you can get it for $390. Try going to your local GM dealer and approach one of the Corvette techs and ask him if he'll do it on the side for you. I see it done all the time, just don't know your area.
Good luck:yesnod:

Back