• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Clearcoat Remover?

als2052

Road Trip!
Having some problems with the clearcoat on my C6 stock alum wheels and was told to use Busch clearcoat remover. Anyone out there have any comments for or against this product??

als2052 said:
Having some problems with the clearcoat on my C6 stock alum wheels and was told to use Busch clearcoat remover. Anyone out there have any comments for or against this product??
Armando
That's not covered under any warranty?

FrankC said:
Are the polished aluminum wheels clearcoated? Got a couple dull areas myself.
Yep,And I believe the finish is covered,as long as it's not from Abuse or Harsh chemicals!!:thumbsup:

Here's the follow-up to my original post. Took car to Roger Dean Chev in Cape Coral. They looked at it, took pictures agreed there was a problem. They supposedly contacted GM (yeah right) and came back and said that it was not a defect and therefore not covered. I also dealt with GM custormer service which was also a waste of time. Looks like I am scre_ed like everyone else who has this problem. Go figure.

Try another dealer. If that doesn't work , send a nasty letter to Chevy. I have seen that that works. Food for thought:thumbsup: :rolleyes: :crazy03:

Hello,

I just want to inform you that if you remove the clearcoat on your polished aluminum wheels you will have to keep them polished unless you reclear them. If you just polish the wheels and not reclear them, you can not use any type of wheel cleaner on them. You cant use a low ph ( wheel acid) or a high ph (alkaline) cleaner on them. Use a neutral ph cleaner like a car wash soap or wash n wax. If you do, the wheels will haze up and you will have to polish them again. I polished the wheels on my 86 C4 because the clearcoat was shot when I bought the car. I have around six hours into the wheels, but they look like chrome. You will have a brighter shine without reclearing them, but a little more upkeep. We carry a very effective, easy to use metal polish.www.flashwax.com
Good Luck.:)

Joe - Flash Auto detailing Products

Awesome..Thanks for the advice. My wheels were looking pretty bad ,but I had no idea they were clear coated. That is good to know. Thanks again:crazy03: :thumbsup: :wavey:

sandman said:
Awesome..Thanks for the advice. My wheels were looking pretty bad ,but I had no idea they were clear coated. That is good to know. Thanks again:crazy03: :thumbsup: :wavey:

I have a question for you. Do you have the polished aluminum wheels or the silver painted clearcoated wheels?
The wheels I am referring to are the wheels that have that semi shiny look. You can not polish the silver aluminum alloy painted wheels. That type of wheel needs to be recleared as long as the silver paint is not worn.

Joe -Flash

Joe-Flash
I am pretty sure they are the painted silver ones. It's a 91 Year coupe. Will the cleaner strip the clear coat? Should I just use regular cleaner? Thanks Rob-Sandman:shrug01:

I bought my car with painted wheels on it. I found a set of polished wheels for it but they were in bad condition, scratched and places where the clear was peeling off. I had nothing to lose and stripped the clear off. Here are some pics;
0a61945e.jpg

6984ca1f.jpg

d7edb8a1.jpg

sandman said:
Joe-Flash
I am pretty sure they are the painted silver ones. It's a 91 Year coupe. Will the cleaner strip the clear coat? Should I just use regular cleaner? Thanks Rob-Sandman:shrug01:

Hi Sandman,

Sorry I did not return your message sooner. You can remove the clear by using paint stripper. Be careful not to get it on plastic surfaces or it will ruin it. After you remove the clear, you can either paint the wheels silver and reclear them. Or if the silver paint is good, then just reclear them. Make sure you use high temp clear or when the wheels get hot from braking, they will yellow. Good Luck.

Joe - Flash

naples said:
I bought my car with painted wheels on it. I found a set of polished wheels for it but they were in bad condition, scratched and places where the clear was peeling off. I had nothing to lose and stripped the clear off. Here are some pics;
0a61945e.jpg

6984ca1f.jpg

d7edb8a1.jpg

Hi,

Your wheels look good. But, when you strip the clear and polish up your wheels to a high gloss, you will need to reclear them or you will forever polish them. I polished up my 86 C4 wheels and they look great for about a month. I did not clearcoat them but I am going to do so. It is better to polish them and clear them. If you do this you will not have to polish them anymore. The clear tends to knock down some of the shine, but your wheels will be maintenance free. Then you can use Brown Royal non-acid wheel cleaner on them and not worry about the wheels hazing.:thumbsup:
Good Luck.

Joe - Flash

Flash man said:
Hi Sandman,

Sorry I did not return your message sooner. You can remove the clear by using paint stripper. Be careful not to get it on plastic surfaces or it will ruin it. After you remove the clear, you can either paint the wheels silver and reclear them. Or if the silver paint is good, then just reclear them. Make sure you use high temp clear or when the wheels get hot from braking, they will yellow. Good Luck.

Joe - Flash

Thanks Flash, No problem on the wait.:thumbsup:
Sandman

Flash man said:
Hi,

Your wheels look good. But, when you strip the clear and polish up your wheels to a high gloss, you will need to reclear them or you will forever polish them. I polished up my 86 C4 wheels and they look great for about a month. I did not clearcoat them but I am going to do so. It is better to polish them and clear them. If you do this you will not have to polish them anymore. The clear tends to knock down some of the shine, but your wheels will be maintenance free. Then you can use Brown Royal non-acid wheel cleaner on them and not worry about the wheels hazing.:thumbsup:
Good Luck.

Joe - Flash
It has been two years since I did this. I don't have a big problem with keeping them looking good. I can re-clear them myself but so far have chosen not to.

I'm about ready to do this myself, found this and made note:

You'll Need
1-Paint Stripper (I used Stripeze) $6.29
2-Polishing Cream (I used Mothers) $6.99
3-000 Steel wool $1.99
4-Paint Brush (small, for applying stripper) $1.99
5-Plastic scraper $.99
6-Mothers Power Ball (miniature) $19.99
7-Garned hose and soap

Around $38 bucks, give or take a two. You could live without the Power Ball but it saved some elbow greese for sure.

First off, I didn't remove my tires or want to strip any of the silver paint on my rims. This made it a bit more difficult because I had to be real careful not to get stripper on the painted areas.

1- I removed the wheels off from one side of the vehicle to due two at one time (seemed to work faster)
2-Removed the balance wgts. (Took digital pics so that I put them on the same spot.)
3-I sanded and painted the balance wgts. While they were off
4-Clean rim and tire very good with cleaner
5-Applied coat of stripper and let sit for 15 minutes
6-scrubbed with stiff brush first, then a plastic scraper and finally with steel wool.
7-I had to repeat #5 & #6 two more times to get the entire clear coat off
8-hosed and scrubbed all remaining signs of stripper
9-Took mothers Power Ball and stuck it in the polishing compound
10-Polished rims with Power Ball for about 5 minutes, cleaned with water and soap.
11-Repeated #10 two more times
12-Cleaned with soap and water
13-dryed and put balance wgts. & Center caps back on
14-Put Armour all on tires and bolted back on the car.

Warnberg said:
I'm about ready to do this myself, found this and made note:

You'll Need
1-Paint Stripper (I used Stripeze) $6.29
2-Polishing Cream (I used Mothers) $6.99
3-000 Steel wool $1.99
4-Paint Brush (small, for applying stripper) $1.99
5-Plastic scraper $.99
6-Mothers Power Ball (miniature) $19.99
7-Garned hose and soap

Around $38 bucks, give or take a two. You could live without the Power Ball but it saved some elbow greese for sure.

First off, I didn't remove my tires or want to strip any of the silver paint on my rims. This made it a bit more difficult because I had to be real careful not to get stripper on the painted areas.

1- I removed the wheels off from one side of the vehicle to due two at one time (seemed to work faster)
2-Removed the balance wgts. (Took digital pics so that I put them on the same spot.)
3-I sanded and painted the balance wgts. While they were off
4-Clean rim and tire very good with cleaner
5-Applied coat of stripper and let sit for 15 minutes
6-scrubbed with stiff brush first, then a plastic scraper and finally with steel wool.
7-I had to repeat #5 & #6 two more times to get the entire clear coat off
8-hosed and scrubbed all remaining signs of stripper
9-Took mothers Power Ball and stuck it in the polishing compound
10-Polished rims with Power Ball for about 5 minutes, cleaned with water and soap.
11-Repeated #10 two more times
12-Cleaned with soap and water
13-dryed and put balance wgts. & Center caps back on
14-Put Armour all on tires and bolted back on the car.

Sounds like you were very thorough, so let's see the fruits of your labor!

:pics:

Back