• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Deluge!

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
Well, only 38 more days and nights and we'll be wishing we had built that ark. Well, since it's supposed to let up on Christmas day, maybe Santa Claus will bring me one.

I had 4 inches at noon today and it's been pouring ever since. I had to go get a new battery for my generator and when I was leaving I saw a car that had hydroplaned into the ditch across the street from my driveway. Would not have been too bad except the ditch had about four feet of water in it. Dead car. Then I was coming back on I-10 and a Toyota Tundra hydroplaned into the ditch in front of me. He went down the ditch sideways and up the other side sideways! Somehow he didn't hit anything and I was able to pull him out with my F-350. Merry Christmas to him.....:crazy03:

I'm surprised that I don't hear the locals out on our road having mud bogging contests. The last heavy rain we had made a real mess out there. The road crew supposedly "fixed" it, but I'm not really sure what their definition of "fixed" really is. Especially from a long haul perspective.

We were on the road today, started pouring on 75 at Lake Park Ga, drove the rest of the way to Ft Benning in steady, but not real bad rain.
Looks like we have Richs rain headed our way now.

The only "fix" for a dirt road in Florida is asphalt!

Probably so, but if they had left it as sand, it would likely be much better than hauling in what they refer to as "river mud" to put on the road. When it gets wet it becomes a sticky gooey mess.

As for asphaulting, they sent around a survey a while back asking if people on the road would be willing to donate a 50 ft easement through their property in order to have the road paved. 50 ft.? Thanks, but no thanks. Maybe someone with a small lot on the road wouldn't mind so much, but for our property that would be a pretty good chunk of land. As it is, they really only have a 15 ft. easement and we have to nag them every once in a while to keep them from gradually widening it every time they scrape the road.

Heck, people already zoom up and down the road with it being unpaved, throwing their trash out the windows all along the road. I'd hate to see what they would do with the road being paved.

As for asphaulting, they sent around a survey a while back asking if people on the road would be willing to donate a 50 ft easement through their property in order to have the road paved. 50 ft.? Thanks, but no thanks. Maybe someone with a small lot on the road wouldn't mind so much, but for our property that would be a pretty good chunk of land. As it is, they really only have a 15 ft. easement and we have to nag them every once in a while to keep them from gradually widening it every time they scrape the road.

Too bad it's not a state road. Then they would have to pay you for it.

The deluge continues.....

If this were all snow it would take us a good month to dig out of the house.

Three of the rivers around here (Sopchoppy, Ochlockonee, and St. Marks) have flood warnings issued for today. Yeah, it was quite a rain event we had here.

With that sudden sharp cold spell we got back in November it had me worried that we were going to be sliding into another ice age. Warm winters suit me just fine, though. :thumbsup: That's why I moved to Florida. Just didn't go south quite far enough to avoid the few cold nights we get here in north Florida. But this will do instead of living in Maryland.

It's been hovering in the 60s and low 70s around here, which feels just fine. Good temps to be working outside clearing some underbrush. Went for a bike ride today on the public bike trail to St. Marks. Little on the chilly side when in the shadows, but not bad.

Back