• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Drain on battery when car is asleep..

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
I've taken a look while my car is asleep at night trying to figure out why the battery will go dead if I don't drive my C5Z for two weeks. I figure something must be drawing current, and figured maybe it would be some sort of light that might be visible in total darkness. The ONLY thing I can see lighted is the button to the lower left of the steering wheel for the deck lid latch. There is nothing else lighted anywhere else on the car. Can you guys check your car at dark-o-thirty to see if that button is NORMALLY illuminated?

Thanks,

Rich Z.

Rich Z 2 weeks is to long not to drive the car It is telling you something drive me ,drive me Im not a garage queen :lmao::lmao: In a more serious term how old is the battery ??? It is more than 3 years get a new one or get a battery tender.

Rich Z 2 weeks is to long not to drive the car It is telling you something drive me ,drive me Im not a garage queen :lmao::lmao: In a more serious term how old is the battery ??? It is more than 3 years get a new one or get a battery tender.

Battery is rather new. Couple of months at best. And it is the third one I have replaced since I started having this problem. The alternator is new as well, as I recently had a chromed unit put in.

The latest battery is an Optima red top. From what I have read, frequent discharges will be the premature death of the battery. Yeah, I like having an excuse for driving the car, but I'm about to get into my busy season, and I'd hate to think every time I finally get a chance to take a drive, I'm going to have to drag out the battery charger first, wasting time I really don't have to spare.

In any event, I can't really see any reason for ONLY the deck latch button to be illuminated so I'm wondering if that is the culprit or I just never noticed it before. I usually have the cover on the car, so I have no idea if this is a new development or it's always been that way. So I'm wondering if this is the case on other cars.

There is something really draining your battery Brand new battery should not do that , Where is GM junkie when you need it .:lmao::lmao: I have gone a vacation for a whole month and when i come back it fire right on . My is a c3 :dancer01::dancer01: The alarm light is allways blinking.

HMMMM.....

From what I have heard the battery you have has has caused LOTS of ppl headaches. I know a few people who went through 3 of those batteries in one year!!!!!!!!
One ended up switching to Die hard gold and left his car for about 3 weeks not driven( had to leave on business) and it cranked up just fine no problems at all.

Just something to think about :)

Where is GM junkie when you need it .:lmao::lmao:
It,is right here!!!:thumbsup:Just like the Lone Ranger Tonto!!:thumbsup::rofl1: Now seriously Dudes.............

1.If I creep up on either my 01 Z06 or my 03 Z-51 in the dark there are No lights on anywhere in my cars!!:thumbsup: Rich,you may have a ground problem in the back!!:shrug01:

2.Where do you keep the keys and fobs to your cars when your not driving them?? How many feet away from the car??:shrug01::shrug01:

Sorry I've not been around much for the last couple days,I've got roped in the Fixing a Ford for my son in-law!!:eek::banghead::eek:

the cars computer stays "on" 2ma current draw i believe while the car is in sleep mode. Two weeks of no driving will drain a battery.

1.If I creep up on either my 01 Z06 or my 03 Z-51 in the dark there are No lights on anywhere in my cars!!:thumbsup: Rich,you may have a ground problem in the back!!:shrug01:

2.Where do you keep the keys and fobs to your cars when your not driving them?? How many feet away from the car??:shrug01::shrug01:

Thanks for looking for me.

Any ideas where I should look for the problem ground in the back? Those STS turbos were put back there with the air inlet behind the taillights. Any likelihood that disturbed a ground nearby?

The keys/fob is always on my belt loop or else in the dresser drawer in the bedroom. The car sleeps outside under the carport which is about 40 ft away from the front door of the house. The carport is directly in front of the front door, so nowhere in the house is any closer than the front door to the car.

Does the FOB for a C5 have proximity detection? I would expect that in a C6, but not a C5. :shrug01:

Thanks!

From what I have heard the battery you have has has caused LOTS of ppl headaches. I know a few people who went through 3 of those batteries in one year!!!!!!!!
One ended up switching to Die hard gold and left his car for about 3 weeks not driven( had to leave on business) and it cranked up just fine no problems at all.

Just something to think about :)

I'm not prepared to say it is a battery problem. The two batteries I had before this one were Exide Orbitals and the problem was consistent through all two Orbitals and now this red top. I really don't know exactly WHEN the problem began, but it seems to me I had the original Orbital in place around a year before the first case of my car going dead after sitting. Maybe I can find the invoice for the second one (which was replaced under warranty) and try to figure out what was done to the car within a couple of months prior.

The problem is that I really only want to use a gel type battery. I'm not comfortable with a box filled with sulfuric acid sitting right atop a bunch of electrical wiring.

Thanks for looking for me.

Any ideas where I should look for the problem ground in the back? Those STS turbos were put back there with the air inlet behind the taillights. Any likelihood that disturbed a ground nearby?
Yeah,I think there are 3 or 4 but I'd have to check farther on exactly where!! I know there is a ground lug right behind the left rear wheel,you can see it by looking right behind the left rear wheel on the outside of the frame rail! I believe there is another on the inside of the left rear frame rail kind of above and in front the transmission around the fuel filter!! What year is your car and I'll see if I can find a schematic!!:thumbsup:

The keys/fob is always on my belt loop or else in the dresser drawer in the bedroom. The car sleeps outside under the carport which is about 40 ft away from the front door of the house. The carport is directly in front of the front door, so nowhere in the house is any closer than the front door to the car.
You may be to close,I know mine will go almost dead in a couple weeks If I don't keep them in the house (About 100-125 feet!!) or Put them in my metal File Cabinet in the office! If leave them on my desk,(about 50-60 feet!) or in it, it will go dead over time!! If there in Sleep mode they will start after 5-6 weeks no problem,How long after that I have no clue,I never let them rest that long!! Some of the later C4's will do the same,depending on how you have the PKE set!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Does the FOB for a C5 have proximity detection? I would expect that in a C6, but not a C5. :shrug01:

Thanks!
I guess you could call it that!!:shrug01:

The cars sleep mode draw with a fresh battery is a max of 25 days to kill the battery . All those modules do draw power in sleep mode to maintain memory. p.s. my trunk button light is off.

I'm not prepared to say it is a battery problem. The two batteries I had before this one were Exide Orbitals and the problem was consistent through all two Orbitals and now this red top. I really don't know exactly WHEN the problem began, but it seems to me I had the original Orbital in place around a year before the first case of my car going dead after sitting. Maybe I can find the invoice for the second one (which was replaced under warranty) and try to figure out what was done to the car within a couple of months prior.

The problem is that I really only want to use a gel type battery. I'm not comfortable with a box filled with sulfuric acid sitting right atop a bunch of electrical wiring.

Chris would agree with you , that man only uses GEL batteries.
We use them in the race cars too. Anytime a customer needs a new battery ( and one did at about 9pm one night when we were finishing up dynoing, his battery DIED while on the dyno, it was pouring rain and a storm was coming of all things) so we ran up to Advance and paid about $160 for a gel battery.

He swears by them !!!!

I usually drive my car by the time two weeks rolls around (have a company car to drive every day). Once in awhile it will go as long as four weeks, but other than a slightly slower cranking it will fire right up. My key fob is about 30 ft away from the car (less than that lately) and it has given me no problems in my 2004.

Yeah,I think there are 3 or 4 but I'd have to check farther on exactly where!! I know there is a ground lug right behind the left rear wheel,you can see it by looking right behind the left rear wheel on the outside of the frame rail! I believe there is another on the inside of the left rear frame rail kind of above and in front the transmission around the fuel filter!! What year is your car and I'll see if I can find a schematic!!:thumbsup:

2002 Z06. I appreciate your help with this.

You may be to close,I know mine will go almost dead in a couple weeks If I don't keep them in the house (About 100-125 feet!!) or Put them in my metal File Cabinet in the office! If leave them on my desk,(about 50-60 feet!) or in it, it will go dead over time!! If there in Sleep mode they will start after 5-6 weeks no problem,How long after that I have no clue,I never let them rest that long!! Some of the later C4's will do the same,depending on how you have the PKE set!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well the C6 is parked right next to the C5Z and has set unmoved for a month or better at a time with absolutely no issues. The keys are the same identical distance away from both cars. Doesn't make sense that the FOB system would be designed where the FOB has to be at least 100 feet away from the car or the battery would go dead. I would guestimate that 90 percent of owners have their cars either in an attached garage or parked out on the street in front of the house, easily within 75 feet of the dresser where they put the keys every night. Now I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the situation at all, I'm just saying that such a design from GM would be pretty bizarre, to say the least. But I don't think a "bizarre design" is even close to being an impossibility..... :rolleyes:

Hey, if I HAVE to drive my car at least every week, I guess I can swallow that bitter pill...... :hehehe:

Here ya go!

#4 I'm thinking is actually behind the rear bulkhead on the inside of left frame rail above and in front the transmission!!:shrug01: But I've slept since then!!:hehehe::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the schematic. Now, is there any way to tell which of those grounds may be the one affecting the deck lid button light?

Any ideas on what conditions must be met (switches, etc.) in order for that light to be on? Seems odd that this is the only light that is on in my car, so I'm wondering what NORMAL condition would cause it to be lit, and what normal condition makes it go out. :shrug01:

Thanks for the schematic. Now, is there any way to tell which of those grounds may be the one affecting the deck lid button light?

Any ideas on what conditions must be met (switches, etc.) in order for that light to be on? Seems odd that this is the only light that is on in my car, so I'm wondering what NORMAL condition would cause it to be lit, and what normal condition makes it go out. :shrug01:
Well rich it's kinda hard to tell!! I'm thinking that your getting feedback through a Ground from something else making the light come on!! Electricity is funny,it tries to take the path of least resistance, It's probably something that isn't really even related to the hatch release other than they share a common somewhere!!Do you have any other Glitches anywhere,a Interior Light,Tale Light,Signal Light,Backup Lights, Brake Lights, License Light,Fuel Gage Malfunction sometimes??Start by Checking all fuses and the lights!! Look for something Excessively Bright or Dim!!:thumbsup:
PS PM me your phone # so I can call you on my toll Free line and I'll get back to you with other tests,I have to get this FORD Running Today so we can get my wifes Jimmy back and her out of my Corvette!!:thumbsup:She thinks it's a Garbage truck!!!:banghead::lmao:

Not to sound ignorant, what is a GEL battery?

Gel battery
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A gel battery (also known as a "gel cell") is a rechargeable valve regulated lead-acid battery with a gelified electrolyte. Unlike a traditional wet-cell lead-acid battery, these batteries do not need to be kept upright (though they cannot be charged inverted). In addition, gel batteries virtually eliminate the electrolyte evaporation, spillage (and subsequent corrosion issues) common to the wet-cell battery, and boast greater resistance to extreme temperatures, shock, and vibration. As a result, they are primarily used in automobiles, boats, aircraft, and other motorized vehicles. These batteries are often colloquially referred to as sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries due to their non-leaking containers, but they are not completely sealed; the valve regulation system allows for gas to be expelled. Chemically they are the same as wet (non sealed) batteries except that the antimony in the lead plates is replaced by calcium. This preserves the mechanical characteristics but renders the construction far less prone to gassing. The battery type is often referred to as a Lead-Calcium battery.

Back