• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Hurst shifter for C5 for sale

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
No idea what this is worth. I think I paid over $150 for it. Only had it on for a couple of months before putting the MTI shifter in. I need to pull the set screws off of my MTI shifter because like a dummy I used them for that shifter when they really should go with the Hurst and put my original bolts in there. The Hurst needs those recessed set screw bolts to fit properly.

Heck, I don't know. $100 plus shipping sound reasonable?

I see a lot of Hurst/B & M shifters for sale used. What is the problem with them? I have been thinking of dong this upgrade, would appreicate any insight.

TIA

arrowpc said:
I see a lot of Hurst/B & M shifters for sale used. What is the problem with them? I have been thinking of dong this upgrade, would appreicate any insight.

TIA

It just is stiffer and takes more effort then I am comfortable with for pleasure driving. If you are slamming gears at the track, then it will be right up your alley as the springs pretty much force the shifter to hit the right gears. Especially that 2nd to third throw. But I found pushing the sucker over to catch fifth or reverse to be a chore for me, and finally just got tired of it.

And the problem is that you CANNOT just take the springs out of the shifter. Without them, the shaft will have way too much play as it will lift vertically from the recesses in the shifter body.

Of course, in the interests of full disclosure, I had some nerve damage from an accident a while back affect my right arm and shoulder. So this certainly does contribute to my using that arm for shifting. This MAY not be an issue for you........

Rich,
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I am definitely interested, are all the parts there, gaskets too?
If so then I can send you the money on Friday. If someone offers before then do what you have to do I understand, no problem. Just let me know.
Paypal ok?
Thank you for your time.

Well I still need to get those set screws out of my car. I mistakenly used them when I installed my MTI shifter.

Did the shifter come with a gasket? I don't recall seeing one if it did....

About the only thing missing would be the locktite tube, since I used that.

Anyway, all I need is to find time over the next couple of days to put the original bolts in the shifter in the car and put those set screws in the Hurst box and it would be ready to go.

Figure on shipping being what, maybe $6?

Money order will be OK. I'll PM you my mailing address.

Thanks.

pmed you back. thanks for the quick replys. What is the locktite tube??
is that the locktite that holds screws from rattling loose? sorry for the ignorance.

thanks again

Yes. The instructions recommend that you put Loctite on the screws that hold the shifter in. The Hurst also recommends that you Loctite the spring tension screws as well.

You can get Loctite at any hardware or automotive store.

You will need to install a new gasket with the Hurst. A new one came with it Rich, thought i would throw in my .02.

Hope i didn't hijack the thread Rich.

Jack

Payment has never been received for this shifter, so it is back up for sale....

Change in plans. This shifter will come WITHOUT the bolts.

I took apart the console yesterday, planning on pulling out those set screw bolts for the Hurst and putting my stock ones in, but the base on the new MTI shifter is thicker than the stock one. The stock bolts are shorter than the ones that came with the Hurst shifter, and it looked like the threads of the stock bolts would just barely be holding the shifter in place. So I decided to just keep the Hurst bolts in there.

Maybe if I get ambitions I will find replacement bolts at the hardware store, but that may not happen.

So until or if that happens, the shifter is being sold sans mounting bolts.

Back