• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

New kid on the block needs your help

sandman

I have a 91 Vette. In the mornings when I start to drive my left rear wheel area is squealing. I know it is not the brakes. I apply the breaks and still hear the squeal. But you never know it could be. I am leaning more towards the wheel bearing. It only makes this noise in the morning. On the way home from work it might squeal for just 5 seconds and then stop. Has anyone heard this before or experienced it before?:banghead:

It could be a bearing. How long since you've changed pads? Possibly a worn pad allowing some metal-metal contact. Either way, I'd pull the wheel and have a look. Good luck.:yesnod:

I do feel it needs a brake job. I haven't done that yet. I was also leaning towards a wheel bearing. On vettes is it like any car? Jackit up and wioggle the wheel and tire to see if their is play? also can they be repacked or are they throw aways?
Rob:banghead:

You should be able to give it the wiggle test...You might want to loosen the pads first so you can feel the bearing better..

Not fixed

Well yesterday I had some new skin put on the back. Softer ride. But I looked at the brake pads and they looked nearly new. I checked the wheel bearings and didn't find any play in them. The rotors looked horrible. I am still getting a rotating squeal when it is first driven for the day. Could it be squeal u-joints, maybe rotor chatter? Any other ideas you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.:banghead:

Back