• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Weather February 2, 2007

JIM KILL

TampaBay Vettes
:shrug01: YOU GUYS OK UP THERE IN UPPER FLORIDA???? :shrug01:

Several people are reported dead and hundreds of homes are said to be damaged in Central Florida this morning, after a line of severe weather swept over the Sunshine State.

WESH-TV, the NBC affiliate in Orlando, reports tornado touchdowns in Lake and Volusia counties.

The Associated Press says authorities have encountered an unknown number of fatalities, and quotes a Lake County sheriff’s dispatcher as saying there is “every kind of damage you can think of.”

WESH-TV reports “several” deaths.

“This situation is much more grave than we ever imagined,” said WESH-TV reporter Amanda Ober in a live report. Ober says the damage is most severe in mobile home parks and that the Lady Lake Assembly of God Church is completely destroyed.

Lake County spokesperson Christopher Patton says the county’s emergency operations center has been activated to coordinate the government’s search and rescue efforts.

Meanwhile, only one Lake County school is closed today. “All other schools are open today with expected delays,” Patton said in a statement.

Several tornado warnings were posted for Volusia County and surrounding areas this morning. The National Weather Service expected several strong storm cells to impact a wide stretch of the state, extending from west to east for at least 50 miles.

Damage reports began pouring in around 4 a.m.

Storm Team 8 Meteorologist John Winter says there have been no immediate reports of damage in the Tampa Bay area as the western edge of the front passed over the peninsula.

However, Winter said, localized flooding is likely this morning. Doppler radar estimates some northern parts of the Tampa Bay area may have received four to six inches of rain overnight.

Florida’s Department of Emergency Management says damage assessment teams are
headed to Central Florida to assess the aftermath. WESH-TV says at least one shelter is open.

Progress energy reports power outages are currently impacting 20,000 central Florida customers.

In 1998, more than a half dozen tornadoes touched down in roughly the same area of Central Florida, killing 42 people and inuring 265 others, according to weather service records.

Damage assessment teams will employ an updated tornado rating scale as they scour the debris. The Enhanced Fujita Scale combines data from recent tornado research with historical information about twisters to better define outbreaks. It became official just yesterday, according to the National Weather Service.

OK, it's time to check in and let us know that you are alright. :thumbsup:

We are waiting......... :toetap05: :toetap05: :toetap05:

And if you need some help.... ASK!

YNKEE DAD/TX MOMMA

We know you guys were right in the storm area...let us know you're OK as soon as you can:yesnod:

I'm about 100 miles north of Tampa. Pretty severe stuff went through last night and loads of branches and leaves all over this morning. Frequent lightning for about 2 hours but not a lot of thunder so I guess the actual strikes were pretty far away. Tornado watches were all north of me.

Florida Weather

Prayers and good thoughts to ynkedad and TXMomma. The worst area is Lady Lake and they are just north (<10 miles) from Lady Lake.

Yeah, ynkedad and txmomma aren't far from Lady Lake. Hope they are OK, but I think there may be a good chance their power could be out.

Here near Tallahassee it was just a heavy rain event. Some thunder and lightning, but nothing really exceptional. No high winds or anything of that nature that I am aware of. Had both of the vettes under the car port with covers on them.

Hope everyone got through this OK.

I second that thought

jcb_njb said:
Prayers and good thoughts to ynkedad and TXMomma. The worst area is Lady Lake and they are just north (<10 miles) from Lady Lake.

I'm sure that many of you have sent emails to ynkedad and TXMomma, but has anyone actually spoken to either one of them?

I saw ynkedad logged into this site a short while ago.......... :shrug01:

Thank you for your thoughts....

We are fine, been without power for a few hours this morning. Trying to let family back in Texas know we are okay, etc. Just happened to be looking in on the site and saw the thread......not sure why Ray didn't see it but know he would have responded if he did.

Again, thanks for all of your thoughts, prayers...we were blessed.

TxMomma (Angel)

Glad to hear that you guys are OK. Let me know if there is ANYTHING that I can help with. Keep us posted.

Very glad to hear that you are Ok. We have family friends that live 1 1/2 miles from the destruction in The Villages and they did not have any damage, but it is nice to hear from other people that live in the area.

Hey guys...

Our daughter woke up up at 3am alerting us of Tornado warnings for the area.
We all pretty much huddled in the living room during the entire event.
We had lost power before 3:30am and broke out the "hurricane" supplies (radio,flashlights etc). We regained power at around 3:30pm today and have been on the phone with family since.
I'm Truly Sorry I missed this thread earlier today as I would have responded, letting ya's know we were ok.
I've got to tell ya... I/we are very grateful and touched by all of your inquiries concerning our well being! WOW!!!
Thank you all so very much for your thoughts, prayers, and offers to help if needed. :bow: to you all!!!

~Ray :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Heck Ray, if something happened to you, who would we pick on around here?

Glad to hear everyone is OK at your home. Were the vettes under cover and got through it OK as well?

Good Mourning. I was lucky the storm passed over my house here on the way to Lake Mack. I am the assistant lead operator of the waste water plant
in DeLand, which is the area that was hit. We spent all day repairing equipment and keeping the plant on line and working. But lot of people in the area lost everything. Those that wish to help, my suggestion is to aid the Salvation Army, United Way and others in their need for can goods, clothes and money. This could have been worst, so thank God that is was not.

Before heading back into work, a question, do we have any members in DeLand, and if so has anyone heard from them? Or New Symra ?

Back