• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Yellow flies!

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
Oh yeah, I really, really, REALLY hate yellow flies!

They are biting the crap out of Connie and I whenever we venture outside. Got four Mosquito Magnets set up and they are doing a number on the population, but their are a LOT of them out there, apparently. Never seen them this bad before....

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/livestock/yellow_fly.htm

Attachments

• yellow_fly01.jpg
    yellow_fly01.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 107
How that they and those damn love bugs don't live in N. Ga. or Tenn. In only a couple of years we will find out but on our repeated travel up there we haven't seen any.

They are pretty thick around here. I just walked around back of the house to do something with the pool timer and had several buzzing around me. Then when I came back to the front porch I had to stay out there and kill a few before I could open the door to go back inside without having them follow me in.

Don't these suckers have natural predators? SOMETHING must eat them. Besides my mosquito magnets, that is.

Damned things are getting REAL aggressive! They bite just as soon as they land on skin and hang on until you actually smack them.

Going outside is NO fun at all lately.

Well, they finally seem to be tapering off. The mosquito magnets caught and killed a TON of them, so they certainly helped. Otherwise I don't see how Connie and I could have even gone outside at the peak of them. These suckers hurt when they bite, so there is no way you can just ignore them.

Of course, we're getting some rain about every day now, so I guess the mosquito shift will be coming on duty shortly. :banghead:

Back