The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 01-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls630 View Post
This is a 08 LS3 motor. I changed oil the first time at 3k and now the second time at 9k. The oil life monitor was like 75% the first change and 68% this time. The oil was black black when I changed both times. It looked like it had 100k on it.
That would make me real nervous right there. I like to see the oil looking pretty much like it did when I put it in there when I take it out. When I bought my C5Z it took a lot of oil changes before the oil started looking that way.

Do you have a magnetic oil drain plug?
Unread 01-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
The oil was black black when I changed both times. It looked like it had 100k on it.
You didn't post that before. I say you have a definite problem for sure. It should look as clean as it did when you put it in. Get it to a dealer.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
tls630

Name :
tls630 has disabled reputation

I went to the auto parts store where I had dropped of my oil and filter for recycle. They still had my filter un-crushed. I brought it home cut it apart and found 4 small pieces of metal. Tiny like shavings. What I am going to do is run it about a 1000 miles and change the filter and top off the oil. I will cut the filter apart again and see what I have. By the way I have been using Mobil- 1 FILTERS As well as oil.
tls630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
I went to the auto parts store where I had dropped of my oil and filter for recycle. They still had my filter un-crushed. I brought it home cut it apart and found 4 small pieces of metal. Tiny like shavings. What I am going to do is run it about a 1000 miles and change the filter and top off the oil. I will cut the filter apart again and see what I have. By the way I have been using Mobil- 1 FILTERS As well as oil.
I would take it to Tracy at RevXtreme. Let him cut it and have a look. If you're like me, we wouldn't know what we're looking at. I checked my oil pressure for you yesterday. Speed = 60 MPH, Oil Temp = 210 deg and oil pressure was 49.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote