The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 01-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Starter issue.......

I was killing some time today, so I was over on another site just browsing through new threads when one about starters caught my eye. With the upcoming work I am planning on the C5Z, I briefly thought that perhaps i should change out the starter, since the passenger side header would have to come off to get to it, and it's going to be off during the other work I am planning. But heck, it was replaced when Chris Harwood worked on the car, and then again when it got burned up while Aaron Scott had the car. So the one in there doesn't have that many miles on it, and I figured it would be good to go.

Until I started reading that thread that made some references to something that was discovered a few years ago, but brand new news to me today.

Apparently the design of the starters GM was installing in the C5 Corvettes, and maybe even in the C6s, have a design deficiency. There are two different length bolts that are used to mount the starter to the block so that it can engage the flywheel when the ignition switch is turned to the START position. There is a long bolt on the outside position of the starter mounting area, and a much shorter one on the inside position. So it looks like this:

Somewhere along the line, the starter was quietly upgraded such that TWO long bolts are now used, and not one long and one short. Which looks like this:

Why is this significant? Well, from what I can gather, there have been some incidents of that thinner flange on the starter being held to the block by the shorter bolt, actually breaking. Now this wouldn't be a real big deal, since starters are relatively inexpensive, and unless you have many types of headers, a relatively easy replacement. However, apparently in pretty short order, unless you are lucky enough to notice something wrong and catching this failure, things can get substantially worse for you. With that short bolt flange broken, the only thing holding the starter to the block and against the flywheel is the thicker flange with the longer bolt. And, unfortunately, more often than not, the threaded hole in the block will give way from the torque of starting the engine, basically just breaking away from the block itself.

You may wind up with a starter sitting on your bench looking like this:

And your block, well....

So now you have a broken block, and likely can feel the cold sweat running down the back of your neck.

I have read some people were able to get a really good welder to fix this with the engine still in the car, but I would bet that this sort of expertise is probably hard to come by. And I heard of some people attempting to glue the pieces back together with some sort of special Permatex epoxy, but heck, I don't know about that myself as being a permanent fix.

So of course I run out to the garage and put the C5Z up on the lift and get a flashlight to check out my starter. Since the starter was last replaced in 2010, I think, I was pretty sure about what I was going to find. Yep, got the old style starter in there. Sure would ruin my day to have a bum starter wreck that expensive RHS block, so getting a new and improved starter is now on my list.

Might be a good idea for me to check the C6 Z06 too, since it's a 2009. But I've got that under an extended warranty, so until that runs out, I'm just not going to sweat it with that car. If the block gets broken, it will be on GM's dime, not mine.

Anyway, a word to the wise about this potential problem. It's new to me, so maybe you weren't aware of it neither. Do a search for this problem yourself to see how many people you can find that had to deal with this.

Here are a couple of threads about this to start you off..

http://www.paradisecruisers.com/SMF/...?topic=16889.0

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...the-block.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...ock-broke.html
Unread 01-12-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info
Unread 01-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

I don't have my '03 anymore, but I'll forward your info to friends. Thanks for that.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
Rich Z

You know, I was just thinking about this and wondering how much stress I was putting on my starter when my clutch slave cylinder failed and I was using the starter to move the C5Z until then engine started while having the transmission in first gear.
Unread 04-16-2016, 01:42 AM   #5
Rich Z

Took some pics of my old starter alongside the new starter I just got. Both are AC Delco remanufactured. The new one is actually specified for a 2001 Suburban, which is what I ordered to get the 2 long bolt configuration I wanted.

Figured better to be safe than sorry with something like this.
Unread 04-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

Guess I need to crawl under the car and take a look....One of those threads go back to 2010. I am surprised there has not been more mentioned on this issue.
According to one post the bolt just might work loose to cause the problem.
Thanks Rich....getting ready for the power tour again this year and would hate for this to happen as far away as Texas........
Unread 04-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
Rich Z

Yeah man, I hear that. I did put the C6 Z06 up on the lift and checked the starter on that one, and yes, it had the new and improved starter on it.

I suspect that this is a pretty rare failure, and maybe more prone in cars with modified engines, but still, why screw with Murphy's Law and take a chance? Obviously it CAN happen.....

I sure as heck will feel better knowing that I have the better starter now in my car.
Unread 04-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #8
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

Well I was able to determine the short bolt was good and tight, but the headers kept me from getting to the long bolt. No way I am dropping the header without a lift.. Nothing was loose so I plan on leaving it alone for now. The best thing that came from this is that on the drivers side a clip broke and some wiring was touching the header and starting to melt.Was able to make a quick repair and take some zip ties and fasten the wires away from the header.
Thanks Rich......because otherwize I would not have found the wires until it was too late

Also discovered there is a bracket made to use if the block should break
http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...l#post17823026
Unread 04-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #9
Rich Z

Yeah, I saw the brackets that some folks had made to fix the block, but certainly this is a case of "an ounce of prevention worth 10 pounds of cure" type of thing. I don't blame you for not wanting to do that job without a lift. But I think you would just have to loosen the passenger side header, and not actually remove it to get to the starter. But would be a pain in the butt, for sure. Removing it gives you a whole lot more elbow room to work with.

My passenger side header came out and went back in rather easily from the bottom, but you do need enough room to point it straight down to pull it out.

Luckily you found the wires in time. I spent a lot of time tying up all the wires and stuff around the headers. I may have to reroute the O2 sensor cable on the passenger side sometime, as I have to fold it up towards the front. Maybe running it back along the tunnel plate would be easier. Sure wish GM had designed O2 sensors with the disconnect closer to the sensor itself. The connector on the driver side on my car is pretty tough to get to. Luckily I have small hands or most of the stuff I wouldn't even be able to lay fingers on them.

Anyway, just keep a sharp ear out when you start your car for any strange noises. And if you experience any sort of back fire while starting, I would definitely be concerned. Checking that short bolt flange on the starter would be the first thing I would want to do, just in case it does crack.
Unread 04-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #10
Rich Z

BTW, talking to a friend of mine, he mentioned that he recalls that most Chevrolet starters had a support on the front of them and seemed surprised that mine didn't. It really would make sense to support the weight of the starter in that manner, I would think. It would certainly help in a situation like this.

Of course, the hot wire, at least on mine, does help to support the front of the starter a little bit.