The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Events and Happenings

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Events and Happenings Shows | Cruises | Parties | Swap Meets

Unread 12-18-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Captainmorg

Name :
Captainmorg has disabled reputation
Default Bradenton Track Rental

First of all I'd like to introduce myself. I'm the owner of a silver 2001 Ford Lightning. Some of you may have recognized my truck as it screamed bloody murder on the dyno at OSW on December 3rd. I organized our gathering and we had a turnout of about 35 trucks that day. When I was sitting there I was thinking how great it would be to have a heads up drag day with another club, such as yours. Since then some people have expressed an interest in renting out Bradenton for a day of just pure speed and fun. (Bradenton as I'm to understand it is a far superior track to OSW).

Now Lightning on Lightning violence seems somewhat wrong to me, especially since most of our members will be able to call a winner before the race starts as most have similar combinations of mods. Unfortunately, we don't have 60+ years of heritage to add vairety to our ranks like you do.

So, this is what I would like to propose. A track rental with two clubs should make for a much more affordable day. Ideally, I would love it if the turnout from each club was similar. We then do runs to set benchmark times for the day, all the vettes run, then all the Lightnings run. 3 passes each should be good. At this point a representative from each club will create a lineup (slowest to fastest being the most logical) and have heads up races with mixed companies. You can keep track of total ET or win v loss total and crown an eventual winner, but the important thing is we all have fun. Anything after that is grudgematch time!

No idea of date set as of yet, I would love to see if you had any interest from you guys first. So let me know what you think, and thank you for having me as a guest on your forum.
Captainmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

You do realize that you're asking a bunch of Corvette owners, not the least egotistical of car enthusiasts, to sign up for the possibility of not only being beaten by a Ford, but by a Ford TRUCK?!?!?!?!?

How fast are those things, anyways?

A gallant offer. It'll be interesting to see what folks think.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Unread 12-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Out of American Car World, March 2005 ...

The 2001 model has an impressive 386 horsepower.
And the truck was doing 13.8-second quarters.
Unread 12-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #5
Corvette Concepts

Name :
Corvette Concepts is on a distinguished road
Default Let's Run Them Trucks!

Brian and I would be interested in a friendly day of racing at Bradenton. We've been sitting idle due to a motor swap in our car but the motor has just about enough break in to entertain an event. What type of cost factor are we looking at? If the cost is high we can always show up for an informal Saturday AM test and tune session. We can get it arranged to have our own lanes, I believe. Let's let the dogs off the porch!!

Corvette Concepts
Delco/Mongoose Performance
Corvette Ranch
Sarasota, Florida 34240
941-322-0577
Corvette Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Captainmorg

Name :
Captainmorg has disabled reputation

Well truth be told stock for stock in the 1/4 a C-5 should have no problem with a Gen 2 Lightning, though in the 1/8 it might be a different story. Both with bolt-ons should be comparable, but I'm guessing and it all depends on what bolt ons naturally. I don't think any of our members have anything that can beat the black C6 ZO6 that was at OSW, but I'm sure there are a few that could make it interesting. We could see over 30 trucks show to this event, how many cars can you field for a track event? I can arrange for a dyno for those who are interested and for a bar-b-que trailer to have evryone fed. The target would be under $100 a head, but I'd need to get at least a rough idea of a head count before I commit to a price (shooting for $50). Also, there will be a few trailers to save the burn of a large towing bill in case the unthinkable happens.

As for hurt egos, please don't tell me you bought these cars to look pretty in your driveways.
Captainmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

Why gentlemen (and ladies) I believe we've been issued a challenge...
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

If it goes down after I get my clutch replaced I'd be up for it. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure when that will be yet. Christmas 'n all... Keep us posted.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
litevette

Name :
litevette has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmorg
please don't tell me you bought these cars to look pretty in your driveways.
You'd be surprised. Seems as if a lot of Vette owners are scared to mash the gas. That's why we started trying to organize something out at OSW. We realized that a lot of guys were parking their Vettes at shows and getting bored with that.
I think it's a great idea and it would help us acheive our goals quicker ( getting dedicated staging lanes, etc.) My only personal issue would be if it is held anywhere other than OSW. My '72 is a reliable turd that could make it to Bradenton with no probs, but is BORINGly slow. When I get my '69 done (that's the car I intend to do my racing in), it will be too loud for that long of a haul, too illegal for that long of a haul and the DR's would disintegrate after a trip or two (to Bradenton). But I do realize that Bradenton is a far supeior track and wouldn't blame the others if they wanted to go there instead og OSW. So I can only speak for me.
I'm all for it if we can do so at OSW. I know a guy who has a modded Lightning who has ben talking some smack for a while and (when I get my '69 done) would like to have him join us too.
litevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #10
Red 69

Name :
Red 69 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by litevette
You'd be surprised. Seems as if a lot of Vette owners are scared to mash the gas. That's why we started trying to organize something out at OSW. We realized that a lot of guys were parking their Vettes at shows and getting bored with that.
I think it's a great idea and it would help us acheive our goals quicker ( getting dedicated staging lanes, etc.) My only personal issue would be if it is held anywhere other than OSW. My '72 is a reliable turd that could make it to Bradenton with no probs, but is BORINGly slow. When I get my '69 done (that's the car I intend to do my racing in), it will be too loud for that long of a haul, too illegal for that long of a haul and the DR's would disintegrate after a trip or two (to Bradenton). But I do realize that Bradenton is a far supeior track and wouldn't blame the others if they wanted to go there instead og OSW. So I can only speak for me.
I'm all for it if we can do so at OSW. I know a guy who has a modded Lightning who has ben talking some smack for a while and (when I get my '69 done) would like to have him join us too.
I agree with litevette, keep it at OSW and I'm in. It seems we have similar goals and might be able to support one another.
Red 69 is offline   Reply With Quote