The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation
Default Oil Filter Suggestions

What are the thoughts on the price of $8.66 each (price includes s/h) for a dozen Wix (51794) filters? I will be using a Mr Gasket spin-on conversion unit and I was told that Wix is a great filter and this particular filter holds the same amount of oil as the canister I will be replacing.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I've heard good things about Wix filters as well, and matter of fact these are what I use on my cars. Pricing depends on the model number of the filter, so I'm not sure if that is a good price or not for you.
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Rich is far better at the research into most things but my personal preference has always been Pureolator Plus filters. I'm sure I'll stay with them in the C5 just as I did in Goldie and my POV's.

Which are "better"? I really don't know.
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I haven't compared, but how do the AC Delco oil filters rate? I like to think that using OEM parts is best.
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Rich Z

Probably trying to figure out what is the "best" oil filter would be just as difficult and subject to personal subjective opinion as trying to determine what the "best" oil to use is............
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
Cor66Vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Probably trying to figure out what is the "best" oil filter would be just as difficult and subject to personal subjective opinion as trying to determine what the "best" oil to use is............
Rich -In a nutshell, for sure. What's your take on more oil in the filter? Am I wrong in thinking that an oil filter that holds more oil - and by size alone would have more material to filter the oil- is better?
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRestoredRoadster View Post
Rich -In a nutshell, for sure. What's your take on more oil in the filter? Am I wrong in thinking that an oil filter that holds more oil - and by size alone would have more material to filter the oil- is better?
Logically you would think that, wouldn't you? Honestly I was quite surprised when I saw how small the oil filters are on the LS generation of engines. I guess I am still curious about why the reduction in size...

Seems to me when I was looking into this, there was a lot of positive press about the cartridge style oil filters, claiming greatly improved filtering capability. But I wimped out when I saw the price of those things. Plus, cleaning out the filter just didn't seem like a real fun thing to do. Push come to shove, I figured I could buy a LOT of standard replaceable filters for the price of one of those cartridge setups. Matter of fact, if I remember correctly, I figured out that I would NEVER likely reach a break even point with them.

I guess there will always be tradeoffs and compromises in something of this nature. You do want to filter out as small a particle as possible, but you really don't want to make the filtering material so small that it clogs and then restricts the oil flow. I guess you just need to figure out which filter does the job "good enough", and be satisfied with that.
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Cor66Vette

Name :

Quote:
Logically you would think that, wouldn't you? Honestly I was quite surprised when I saw how small the oil filters are on the LS generation of engines. I guess I am still curious about why the reduction in size...

Seems to me when I was looking into this, there was a lot of positive press about the cartridge style oil filters, claiming greatly improved filtering capability. But I wimped out when I saw the price of those things. Plus, cleaning out the filter just didn't seem like a real fun thing to do. Push come to shove, I figured I could buy a LOT of standard replaceable filters for the price of one of those cartridge setups. Matter of fact, if I remember correctly, I figured out that I would NEVER likely reach a break even point with them.

I guess there will always be tradeoffs and compromises in something of this nature. You do want to filter out as small a particle as possible, but you really don't want to make the filtering material so small that it clogs and then restricts the oil flow. I guess you just need to figure out which filter does the job "good enough", and be satisfied with that.
Thanks, Rich. I didn't think this would be easy. I do have one thing on my side in that I change the oil more often than recommended. I'm leaning towards the WIX equivalent of the NAPA. Holds as much oil as the original canister and fits the Mr. Gasket conversion unit. As for the newer and reduced sized filters, perhaps with technology, size doesn't matter . Mine is a '66, a dinosaur compared with today's standards.

PS I hate getting rid of the original canister but no matter what, and I mean no matter what, I could never get a drip free seal. Did I say no matter what!

Last edited by Cor66Vette; 10-02-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hear, hear!

OK as long as we're "stirring the oil". Isn't changing the oil "more frequently then recommended" just a marketing tool to make us use more of a precious commodity?
I asked based on the experience with dept. vehicles I drove for 25 years. The required PM interval was 5K for marked units and 7500 for unmarked units.Never under even under extreme conditions did I see an engine failure based on lubrication break down, just saying! (but don't kid yourself the Vette gets early, often, extra care.)

Last edited by Kap142; 10-02-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Ooops another thought
Kap142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Cor66Vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Hear, hear!

OK as long as we're "stirring the oil". Isn't changing the oil "more frequently then recommended" just a marketing tool to make us use more of a precious commodity? ... "
I have often felt duped by the thought of that very same marketing ploy. I live on the water and even though we get the "perpetual breeze" it's still humid as heck and I can only imagine what that humidity does to the oil in an un-air conditioned garage, in a car that doesn't get driven all that much. What's a couple of extra gallons of oil here and there?