The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 08-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation
Default C5 Run Flat Opinions

I will be a C5 owner early next month (can't wait) and have heard a lot about the run flats and how horrible they are. Seems like they're one of the first stock items of the car to go. Are they that bad and if/so what makes them so?
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I think it's a benefit tradeoff you have to consider simply because the car you will be driving will not have a spare tire. So you either have to use runflat tires, or carry a compressor with tire sealant and hope that will work if you get a flat tire. If the hole in the tire is too big for sealant, well, you are just SOL, I suppose.

Both the '07 C6 and the '09 C6Z we have have runflat tires on them, and I have to admit they are comparatively noisy. I've had Michelin PS2s on the C5Z which are NOT run flats, and although they are quieter, I'm not sure the pain in the ass of dealing with a flat tire makes the grade for a tradeoff. Honestly, I'm seriously considering getting runflats for the C5Z next time I need tires and have pressure sensors installed. Not like I'm going to hear the tires anyway with as loud as that car is.

Heck, tires don't seem to last all that long on Corvettes anyway if you really drive them regularly, so I don't think it's any big deal to have runflats. They don't have enough depth of tread on them to really ever be 80K mile tires. More like 20K to 30K, it seems. So you just have to figure out what is most important to you and let that be your guide.

IMHO, of course...
Unread 09-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

The original GY tires we're somewhat noisy as it was a hard compound for up to 200 miles on a flat (I think 200) .I changed my tires to Michelin run flats and they we're not nearly as noisy but your flat range is decreased to 50 or 100 miles .

I travel long distances mostly nights and I didn't want to be caught in unfamiliar territory during a rain storm and a 2 inch tire cut .AAA is good but spare tires for vetts are not a stock item in most places .

Personally I feel far more comfortable with Run Flats .Also find a good alignment spec for your type of driving .I can get 40,000 miles out of my $1400 set of tires because I don't race or exceed 150mph (much)
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote